Windows Virtual PC

Reaction score
OK so i am currently running 4GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS (So only 3GB gets used). What i want to know is when i allocate RAM to XP Mode in Virtual PC does i take from the total 4GB or the available 32-Bit (3GB)

Thank in advance, LG

Reaction score
I would've thought that too. However i cannot notice a difference between windows 7 when it is or isn't running.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yw, sorry I couldn't get (or find) a more definite answer. Someone else here may be able to help you more with Virtual PC.
If you do find an answer, please post back?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for the effort if i do find an answer i will definately post back.

Thanks Again, LG

Reaction score
Hi LiteGamer - Welcome to the site. :ciao:

I have read that the reason there is only 3GB is the other 1GB is used by the system for some reason. I do not fully understand it myself. but if this memory is already in use then it cannot be allocated at all. With this said I can only conclude the allocated memory of Virtual PC must be from the 3GB.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply clifford_cooley, and thanks for the welcome. I now understand virtual pc properly. :)

Ask a Question