Windows Server 2008 R2 question

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This Windows Server 2008 R2, is this an OS, or what?

If so, in a dual boot setup, would I install it before, or after Win 7? And what is it used for? I found it on TechNet, thought I'd check it out.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a server OS. It is to Windows Server 2008 what Windows 7 is to Vista. It is just a server OS like Server 2003 or 2008, just more updated. Don't let the R2 confuse you, it just means Release 2.

As someone who has used Windows server operating systems in desktop use before, with previous Server releases it actually made a fair bit of sense, depending on your needs, because they were so naked and secure out of the box, and you could enable what you wanted or needed. However, some games or even apps did balk at it not being the Windows version they expected when trying to install, but in many cases that could be fixed by editing the MSI config file.

However, from what I have read about Server 2008 R2, whereas you could squeeze 2003 to run faster than XP, the difference in desktop use between Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 is so negligible that it isn't worth the bother. Furthermore, S2008R2 lacked Bluetooth stack entirely last I heard.

Windows Server OSs are fun to mess around with in desktop use if you are into that sort of thing.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So does it install before or after Windows 7?

Cat

Reaction score
Hi,

Check out this microsoft website, it is well explained.

Windows Server 2008 R2, now with Service Pack 1 (SP1) provides new virtualization technology that enables you to deliver more advanced capabilities to your business for increased IT efficiency and agility. Whether you want to consolidate servers, build a private cloud or offer Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, the addition of these powerful virtualization features enables you to take your datacenter and desktop virtualization strategy to a new level.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/product-information.aspx

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So what is it that we do with this OS? Install VM's within it?

Does it have a web browser of it's own? I'm sure that Windows Update works with it, but Windows Update is not tied to IE any longer (for Win 7 & Win Server 2008 R2). I'd really like to try it, I have the software and COA to do it with.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does it have it's own VM software, or does the user have to install his/her own? If I have to install software for it, what do I install?

Cat

Ask a Question