SOLVED Windows Security Update 3 days ago

Reaction score
I am on Windows 7 Home Premium and have the system set up to automatically take Microsoft Update downloads when they are released, which has worked fine until the update which I received a couple of days ago.
I think some of the update went through but I am left with one "item" which my computer does not like! It keeps trying to run the update, it fails, then closes down my computer after reverting and then restarting. I don't twiddle with my systems/settings at all so am a bit puzzled and slightly alarmed that the update isn't going through. Of course each time I shut down, it tries again to install the update and fails again to do so when I switch on again. It is getting rather tedious! Has anyone else had a problem? Does anyone know how I can "clear" this dratted update altogether or at least find out what it does so I can see if there is a problem with my machine.
Thanks very much.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can clear it by right clicking and hiding it.
But look through the history first, and see if you do not, by chance, already have it installed.
If not confidential, perhaps you could post to us which update it is? We may have an answer or even a solution.

Reaction score
You can clear it by right clicking and hiding it.
But look through the history first, and see if you do not, by chance, already have it installed.
If not confidential, perhaps you could post to us which update it is? We may have an answer or even a solution.
Hmm! Can you tell me how I find this information please?

The ones it has been trying/succeeding in installing since the 14th are:

KB2344875
KB2345043
KB2160841

Does that make any sense or help? I don't know which one it is still struggling to update and can't.

I tried right-clicking on the little shield to stop it to try installing on closedown but couldn't seem to find an "uninstall" or "don't do it" button.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Control panel (Small icons) - Windows update - and.on lthe left, review update history.

I don't appear to have been offered any of the updates mentioned (Ultimate 64BIT)

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Having looked at it, it appears that it is KB2345886 that keeps failing. Having read the blurb about it I am not a great deal wiser: viz

Version: 1.7
Microsoft is announcing the availability of a new feature, Extended Protection for Authentication, on the Windows platform. This feature enhances the protection and handling of credentials when authenticating network connections using Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA).
The update itself does not directly provide protection against specific attacks such as credential forwarding, but allows applications to opt-in to Extended Protection for Authentication. This advisory briefs developers and system administrators on this new functionality and how it can be deployed to help protect authentication credentials.

If I uncheck the box, will this sort it out for the time being?

Reaction score
Thanks very much. that seems to have sorted it out for the moment, but I am still puzzled as to why I had the problem in the first place! But at least I don't keep trying to do the upgrade, closing down, reverting and goodness knows what else.

Reaction score
This link may help you to better understand the purpose of the KB2345886 update ..

What is the KB2345886 Microsoft update?

The KB2345886 update relates to a new feature of Windows, called Extended Protection for Authentication. In simple terms, this is a new security layer that provides additional protection for secure information when exchanging login details across the web. Specifically, it limits the chances of would-be hackers intercepting any private details en route.

As such, KB2345886 is safe (and recommended) to install but don't expect to see any obvious change in Windows: the update is applied to a very low-level part of the operating system and you, as a user, will notice no difference.

Reaction score
This link may help you to better understand the purpose of the KB2345886 update ..

What is the KB2345886 Microsoft update?

The KB2345886 update relates to a new feature of Windows, called Extended Protection for Authentication. In simple terms, this is a new security layer that provides additional protection for secure information when exchanging login details across the web. Specifically, it limits the chances of would-be hackers intercepting any private details en route.

As such, KB2345886 is safe (and recommended) to install but don't expect to see any obvious change in Windows: the update is applied to a very low-level part of the operating system and you, as a user, will notice no difference.

Thanks for this additional information. I think I know what might be the problem now. I have installed some software from my Bank (Rapport) which is intended to carry out the same function as above and perhaps the two are conflicting?

Thanks everyone for help and advice.

Reaction score
Thanks for this additional information. I think I know what might be the problem now. I have installed some software from my Bank (Rapport) which is intended to carry out the same function as above and perhaps the two are conflicting?

Thanks everyone for help and advice.
You're welcome, Peta. My pleasure.

Insofar as your question about the KB2345886 update and the Rapport software from your bank conflicting with each other, a simple test would be to uninstall the Rapport software, then unhide and install the KB2345886 update, to see if installs properly. If it does, then you can always reinstall the Rapport bank software after that, if you like. That might be the solution.

Last edited:

Ask a Question