Windows.Old How to get them back?

Reaction score
Hello again

Du to a hard disk problem i had to re-installed Win 7. Luckely this new OS saved files on the disk in a new directory files \Windows.old.:)

My question is: How do i replace them under their appropriate sub-directory?. I was able to drag some files, but the one that was installed by Windows was not accessible.:confused:

Many many thanks to those who helped me so-far.:ciao:

Martin
Montreal, Canada

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which files do you want to move across Martin, I'm confused as to what you are trying to achieve :) Is there anything in particular that you want to restore from the old Windows installation?

Reaction score
Which files do you want to move across Martin, I'm confused as to what you are trying to achieve :) Is there anything in particular that you want to restore from the old Windows installation?
Good day Ian

It was not really an old installation, less than one week

I would like to re-install my desktop files and appearence, Windows mail,Installed programs etc.

Martin

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not going to be possible to restore everything, especially things like appearance and installed applications - simply because they have so many settings build in to the registry that copying files over won't work. In future a repair install would fix most problems and retain your data.

The main things that you will be able to rescue are in the documents folder (which may also contain the Windows Mail data). :)

Reaction score
HTML:
 In future a repair install would fix most problems and retain your data.
 :)
I did tried that many time before. Only message that i got was saying " Damaged C drive// Windowss will restart" after the repair process

Don't know yet what caused that. This is a new drive.

I'm still in the re-installation process
Have a great day
Martin

Reaction score
Hi Martin ... Welcome to the forums!! The Windows.old folder is there so that you can recover data files, program settings and documents etc etc... You will still have to install your programs... In the future, image your drive as soon as you get it set up to a different drive/partition....it will save you a lot of time and heartache...

Cheers!

Reaction score
Thanks SIW2! Its always good to run into old friends!! ;)

Ask a Question