Windows Media Player vs. Media Center

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've been playing arounf with both Windows Media Player and the Media Center and found something odd. I can place a commercial DVD movie in my computer and play it just fine using the Media Center. But if I take that same DVD and try to have Media Player play it, I can only get the audio and not the video. I get no error messages at all and am a bit stumped as to why the Media Player is not fully working.

If anyone can point me in a solution I would appreciate it. Yes I do have Power DVD and GOM Player and can play movies in them just fine as well.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Veedaz, I'll be testing this later tonight. ( I find that GOM and VLC are pretty much the same so it's user preferance really.)

Overall it's not a big worry as I do have other ways to play all my media files. I just found it unusual that Media Player was "broken" and Media Center works perfectly.

I tried all the suggestion in the link. I was missing a couple of codecs that I downloaded & installed but the issue still remains. I then installed and compaired VLC to GOM and have to admit that VLC is the superior player and am now using it in conjunction with Media Center. Media Player is now just a music player for me (hehe).

All in all, I'm still a bit miffed that Media Player is behaving badly where everything else in W7 is working like a champ.

Last edited:

Ask a Question