Windows Live Essentials 2011 – Highlights

Reaction score
Yesterday, Windows 7 Update quietly informed me that there was an ‘important’ update to download (I have Windows 7 set to notify me before downloading updates). I checked on what the update was and it turned out to be Windows Live Essentials 2011 (WLE2011), a rather hefty 150MB + download at that!

**I should note here that WLE2011 will only install on Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008. For details see the detailed release notes here. Sorry, Windows XP users.
Source link - Windows Live Essentials 2011 – Highlights

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Interesting move, including Silverlight in WLE.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm not going to install it. The interface sucks. I'll give up LiveMail before I use the new WLE.

Lets hope they include a simple mail client in W8.

Reaction score
Lets hope they include a simple mail client in W8.
Thats almost laughable, they are going out of their way to include the ribbon bar in every application they have. As much as I like the ribbon bar myself, there are applications that don't need any such interface. And including the ribbon bar in such applications will only add complexity to what is otherwise known as a simple application.

Personally I don't understand why a toggle between both interfaces would be so difficult to design. This would cater to both parties, the ones who want the ribbon bar and the ones that don't.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Personally I don't understand why a toggle between both interfaces would be so difficult to design. This would cater to both parties, the ones who want the ribbon bar and the ones that don't.
Put me in the don't aisle.

That seems like such a simple idea that MS is looking right through the genius of it.

Maybe there is some kind of strange belt tightening going on there. Using some proven design instead of developing something better.

Reaction score
Junk Mail needs to be fixed

Microsoft still needs to fix the Junk Mail in Windows Live Essentials 2011. I have 3 email accounts. One is through my isp, thne I have Hotmail and Gmail. I tried the beta version when it was made available. When you teill Windows Live Mail to block a sender with either of the 2 options it only works for Hotmail. I downloaded Live Essentials 2011 last week and it still doesn't block junk mail that you tell it to unless it's for Hotmail. It wasn't like this in previous Windows Live/Live Essentials versions. This is idiotic on Microsoft's part and a huge time waster for there customers.If they don't fix it soon, I'm uninstalling it and moving to Thunderbird.

Reaction score
brkkab123, Instead of installing Thunderbird, you could use a third party mail program called Pop Peeper. It is a small download, barely uses any system resources while checking for mail, plus you can check unlimited mail accounts (including HotMail and Gmail) and if you're so inclined, you can access accounts via IMAP, if they support it.

I have used this program for over five years and it works very well, with only a few minor issues. If you're interested, here's the link .. Pop Peeper

Pop Peeper Primary Features

• Easy Setup - accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
  • Supports POP3, IMAP (including GMail, AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, mail.com, etc), SMTP, GMail, Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, MyWay, Excite, iWon, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno, NetZero
  • IDLE is supported for IMAP accounts which allows instant notification when new mail arrives in your inbox
  • Support for RSS feeds is available with purchase of the Premium Add-on Pack
  • Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
  • Send email directly from POP Peeper
  • SSL support for POP3, IMAP and SMTP
  • HTML email support
  • Password protection
  • Address book
  • Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
  • Send, save and open file attachments
  • Run POP Peeper off your portable storage device
  • No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
  • Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing scroll lock LED and more
  • Specify how often all accounts are checked for new mail or set individual intervals for each account
  • Extensive help with useful tips and information
Email Notification Options

• Sound notifications: single sound for any new mail, or a customized sound for each account
  • Tray icon notification that display the color and number of new messages for each account
  • Flashing scroll lock LED
  • Windows popup indicating which account(s) received new email
  • BalloonTip displays the subject and sender of the last email message received
  • Automatically open POP Peeper or launch your email client when new email is received
  • Skinnable popup (optional download)
  • ScreenSaver (optional download)
  • Chime can repeat a sound until acknowledged and\or launch another program when new mail arrives (optional download)
  • Snarl notification system plugin (optional download)
  • Voice Notification announces the subject and sender of your new messages (premium download)

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Lets get some feedback in this thread. I quite like WLM. It's facilities are good for my purposes, linked to interrnet accounts and hotmail. I like the "ribbon" menu bar, which can be minimised , out of sight, as default with a single click.
But, obviously it is not pleasing most and I am interested in knowing the plus's and minus's from others. I understand, whilst I do not use it, that it is now very similar to Outlook, yet, even on this site, I have read disparaging comments from outlook users.??

Reaction score
The 2007,2008,2009 and 2010 versions did

The Windows Live Mail 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 versions did do that. I've used it since it originally came out. When I right clicked on the Email and selected Junk mail and clicked either block send or block senders domain for my Bellsouth and Gmail accounts the mail after I did that went directly to the Junk Mail folders for the specific account. The Live Essential 2011 Windows Live Mail is the first version that hasn't and it's a pain the a**. If MS can't fix that issue within a month I'm ditching the suite and going elsewhere. Also, why did MS include Live Writer in the 2011 version considering they're shutting dow Live Spaces down ?
Ouch, that would be a PITA!!!

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks. I just downloaded POP Peeper. I'm downloading Picasa next and ditching Live Essentials afterwards.
brkkab123, Instead of installing Thunderbird, you could use a third party mail program called Pop Peeper. It is a small download, barely uses any system resources while checking for mail, plus you can check unlimited mail accounts (including HotMail and Gmail) and if you're so inclined, you can access accounts via IMAP, if they support it.

I have used this program for over five years and it works very well, with only a few minor issues. If you're interested, here's the link .. Pop Peeper

• Easy Setup - accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
  • Supports POP3, IMAP (including GMail, AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, mail.com, etc), SMTP, GMail, Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, MyWay, Excite, iWon, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno, NetZero
  • IDLE is supported for IMAP accounts which allows instant notification when new mail arrives in your inbox
  • Support for RSS feeds is available with purchase of the Premium Add-on Pack
  • Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
  • Send email directly from POP Peeper
  • SSL support for POP3, IMAP and SMTP
  • HTML email support
  • Password protection
  • Address book
  • Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
  • Send, save and open file attachments
  • Run POP Peeper off your portable storage device
  • No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
  • Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing scroll lock LED and more
  • Specify how often all accounts are checked for new mail or set individual intervals for each account
  • Extensive help with useful tips and information

• Sound notifications: single sound for any new mail, or a customized sound for each account
  • Tray icon notification that display the color and number of new messages for each account
  • Flashing scroll lock LED
  • Windows popup indicating which account(s) received new email
  • BalloonTip displays the subject and sender of the last email message received
  • Automatically open POP Peeper or launch your email client when new email is received
  • Skinnable popup (optional download)
  • ScreenSaver (optional download)
  • Chime can repeat a sound until acknowledged and\or launch another program when new mail arrives (optional download)
  • Snarl notification system plugin (optional download)
  • Voice Notification announces the subject and sender of your new messages (premium download)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I quite like WLM. It's facilities are good for my purposes, linked to interrnet accounts and hotmail. I like the "ribbon" menu bar, which can be minimised , out of sight, as default with a single click.
Dave, Are you using 2011 or an older version?

But, obviously it is not pleasing most and I am interested in knowing the plus's and minus's from others. I understand, whilst I do not use it, that it is now very similar to Outlook, yet, even on this site, I have read disparaging comments from outlook users.??
I use Office 2007 including Outlook 2007 so I have no ribbons and have absolutely no desire to use them or to install any other products such as the wordpad product that has one nor this WLE2011. Even without the ribbon, all the issues people seem to be having with the product would definitely make me take a wait and see attitude especially after hearing that you can't back out to the previous version once it's in and that it slips extra software (silverlight) in w/o a warning or an option to bypass it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have previously used the older Betas, but have now installed and am using 2011.

Later.
I followed this up a little.
I said in a previous thread that I use Silverlight, so could not comment on its inclusion in WLE. I went to the trouble of uninstalling both the Silverlight and WLE completely. On reinstallation, it did NOT install Silverlight. I had to reinstall as a seperate component.
Live writer need not be installed, if you have no use for it. It has a couple of other (worthless) functions, apart from LIve Spaces.
I had a couple of colleagues send me mail, which I classified as junk. Their second efforts were immediately placed in the junk folder.
Trainable. What do you mean by a previous version. Of WLE ?. There is, academically, no previous version except for the Betas. 2011 is a full RTM release. If I understand you, you would need to have a fuill Beta install program available on your Hardisk. The MS install will only take you to the website, where it will download and install the latest release (2011).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. I just downloaded POP Peeper. I'm downloading Picasa next and ditching Live Essentials afterwards.

* Easy Setup - accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
* Supports POP3, IMAP (including GMail, AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, mail.com, etc), SMTP, GMail, Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, MyWay, Excite, iWon, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno, NetZero
* IDLE is supported for IMAP accounts which allows instant notification when new mail arrives in your inbox
* Support for RSS feeds is available with purchase of the Premium Add-on Pack
* Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
* Send email directly from POP Peeper
* SSL support for POP3, IMAP and SMTP
* HTML email support
* Password protection
* Address book
* Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
* Send, save and open file attachments
* Run POP Peeper off your portable storage device
* No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
* Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing scroll lock LED and more
* Specify how often all accounts are checked for new mail or set individual intervals for each account
* Extensive help with useful tips and information

* Sound notifications: single sound for any new mail, or a customized sound for each account
* Tray icon notification that display the color and number of new messages for each account
* Flashing scroll lock LED
* Windows popup indicating which account(s) received new email
* BalloonTip displays the subject and sender of the last email message received
* Automatically open POP Peeper or launch your email client when new email is received
* Skinnable popup (optional download)
* ScreenSaver (optional download)
* Chime can repeat a sound until acknowledged and\or launch another program when new mail arrives (optional download)
* Snarl notification system plugin (optional download)
* Voice Notification announces the subject and sender of your new messages (premium download)
You're welcome! Glad you decided to try Pop Peeper. The more you use this program, the more you will really appreciate its simplistic design. If you have any questions about settings or configuring mail accounts, let me know and I'll be glad to help. Enjoy!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Okay, does WLM mean Windows Live Mail the email service, Windows Live Mail the email client, Windows Live Messenger, or Windows Live Mesh?

Wish they'd drop the "Live" entirely. It's confusing and redundant.

I installed Essentials 11 and so far have tested Messenger and Mesh. I really like the idea of Mesh, and its simplistic design. It's not flexible enough to work for my needs, but it's new so hopefully that will change in the future.

The new Messenger looks messy. The UI, I mean... But perhaps that's just a matter of getting used to it.

Inspired by the new version of Essentials I re-activated Windows Live Admin or whatever they call their Custom Domains (Google Apps equivalent). I thought that with the integration of Office Web Apps and SkyDrive, it would be really nice to achieve more integration between Windows and the Live services.

The two big obstacles I've come across so far are as follow:

1. I can't seem to find IMAP settings for Hotmail/Live Mail or w/e it's called so that I could check my inbox via IMAP in Thunderbird. I can use POP3 just fine, but I don't want to use POP3.
  2. For some reason - and this annoyed me six months ago when I last migrated from Google Apps to Windows Live - the Live homepage, which shows number of emails in my inbox as well as my "status" and posts from social networks, does not stay updated. My FB friends' posts are from weeks ago, and my "current status" is one that I posted on Facebook a month ago. My profile pic is an old one as well.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
WOW - WLM 2011 looks awesome!

It installed in 2mins (probably downloaded before) and started up beautifully.
I guess it is kinda messy, but alo nice in a way. If only they could make it a bit smaller :p

I like the "tabs" for the conversations though.

Reaction score
Even though I manually install updates I thought mail 2011 would be OK.I was totally wrong, it truly sucks! The thing that really prompted me to revert back to the previous version of Live Mail was the popup that wanted me to set Bing as my default search and MSN as my home page and some other useless MS program as a default was more than I could endure. To check mail you need to bring up the banner and select the account instead of the 2009 version where you could simply select "Sync" and select the account you want to get your mail on. What I did to correct the issue is: 1. Go to Control panel and select “Programs and Features” then find “Windows Live Essentials” at the bottom of the list and slide the slider at the bottom of the window to the right so you can see the install date. 2. Start “System Restore” and select a date one day before the date of Windows live install and let the magic happen. It worked perfect for me with no lost mail even though I had many mail receipts after installing 2011. You will be prompted to install 2011 again but you can right click on it in update and choose “Hide” for WLE 2011. End of story.

Ask a Question