windows experience

Reaction score
in performance information and tools, my graphic rating was 3.0 and now dropped down to 2.7,. dropped on desktop aero. is that because my ati x1200 graphic driver is out of date. is there any website that offers graphic drivers for laptops with old graphic cards.

Reaction score
Try this page at AMD's website. It has a link for selecting various drivers that pop's up towards the right side of the page. Here's the link http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx . Also, try contacting the company thar made the notebook. They should atleast beable to point you in the right direction. If they can't, avoid their products in the future.

Reaction score
brkkab, AMD only offers drivers for desktops, not laptops. i contacted AMD support and they told me all drivers are for desktops, laptop users have to go to manufacture for updated drivers. ACER hasnt updated any drivers since may 2009.
davehc, AMD gave link to driverheaven, and message popped up saying i dont have permission to download.
heres email.
Dear Michael,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200420360]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
If the system is a laptop there are no drivers from AMD for the proprietary chipset on the Acer laptop.
There are 3rd party drivers and utilities available on line.They are not recommended or supported by AMD Customer Care, they are popular with laptop users.
If you search online for Omega Drivers or ATI Modder Utility you should be able to update drivers to more current ones than offered byyour laptop manufacturer.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

If it is a desktop you should be able to use the legacy Catalyst 10.2 drivers from AMD.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...px?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
This email is a direct result of your contact with AMD Global Customer Care and not part of a campaign. There is no need to unsubscribe to this email as you will only be contacted again if you directly request another service from AMD Global Customer Care.
The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only. AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change such information at any time, with or without notice.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to Acer your driver would be the Vista driver (Ver:ATI 8.520.0.0 Size:110.3MB Date:01/15/2009) HERE

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Explain? Where exactly does windows say your driver is out of date? Are you saying it offers a newer one in Windows Update? If so, what happens if you try it?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Here's a link for the 32-bit version of Catalyst 10.2 driver for your Radeon X1200 graphics chipset from 2-24-2010

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

Even the Windows 7 Driver compatibilty page directs one to the above link and all that is shown is the Vista 32-bit driver.

Which version of Windows 7 are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Here's a link to Guru 3D dot com with a Catalyst 10.2 64-bit Windows 7/Vista driver dated 2-18-2010. There's a short video ad about 20 seconds and then the link appears

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2478&file=4&evp=16c60be4a6ccf137070574386d6cdce8

This should solve your problems, quit worrying over the WEI rating, it's just a guide not something etched in stone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
im running the 32 bit i have a AMD Athlon 64 2650e 1.6ghz processor. i have 3gb of ram, hard drive has been repartition to 149. thats the most i can get out of it. suppose to be a 160 gb hdd. acer had it set up at 68.9gb drive c 68.9 drive d. came with vista home basic 32 bit, but some of acers software were interferring with windows and caused problems, acer idea to resolve it was to do a factory default restore. once a month i had to restore it. 7 hours of updates. went to compusa bought win7 home premium 32 bit full version. did clean install. if you bought this laptop after may 2009, acer did a free upgrade to win7. but they dont offer driver updates for the win7.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You have to remember that hard drive makers state their hard drives to be... in your case - 160 GB. That statement is true because they use the actual decimal system to rate it. 16,000 MB or 160,000 KB, see what I mean as these are what's called "Decimal Multiples"

However, Windows uses the Binary System to judge all hard drive capacity so a Kilobyte is not 1,000 but instead 1,024. Confusing isn't it?

Computers do not internally represent HDD or memory capacity in powers of 1024; reporting it in this manner is just a convention. Creating confusion, operating systems report HDD capacity in different ways. Most operating systems, including the Microsoft Windows operating systems use the powers of 1024 convention when reporting HDD capacity, thus an HDD offered by its manufacturer as a 1 TB drive is reported by these OSes as a 931 GB HDD.

Your hard drive should actually show a capacity of 156.25 GB in 1024 convention, I believe. You may have a hidden partition somewhere, including the 100MB partition Windows 7 makes upon installation of the OS.

Neither ACER nor AMD Radeon support the X1200 graphics chipset past the Vista OS. Since you're running 32-bit, use the first link I gave you and download it and install it as your graphics driver. Then you should be good to go.

Did you buy the OEM version at CompUSA with one disc only or did you get the FULL Retail version with two discs, both the 32-bit and 64-bit install discs?

Reaction score
Explain? Where exactly does windows say your driver is out of date? Are you saying it offers a newer one in Windows Update? If so, what happens if you try it?
when i turn it on and desktop appears, catalyst control center starts, them message saying windows has detected problem with software,please update driver. in device manager it says i have the best driver installed. any driver i downloaded from AMD windows says a problem caused program not to run gives me choice of debug which does nothing or close program and windows will check for solution.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Sounds like your basically stuck with what you presently have for a driver.

The graphics chipset is an older one for sure. Until you decide to update to a new notebook computer this appears the best that can be done.

Have tried unstalling the current driver and updating with the newer one with no internet connection activated?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So the error is from Catalyst Control Center, not from Microsoft. There is a newer version of CCC but unfortunately you can't use it because there aren't drivers in it for your display. Either you have to ignore the notice, find a setting to disable the notification, or, if you don't need it, you could disable the control center but the Vista driver IS the driver for you.

Reaction score
error is acer, not keeping drivers up to date. modifying chipsets so you cant update from AMD or Intel. acer doesnt expect its laptops to last this long. which they dont when you dont keep them clean. i keep the heat pipe clean. idle temp runs 117 to 119F in use it runs 120 to 127F. im using a program called core temp that tells me temp processor usage and ram usage. i max out processor alot. ram i only use 35% of 2814 mb.

Reaction score
I believe i have it fixed, i wiped hard drive, including the hidden partition, reinstalled 32 bit win7, downloaded win7 home premium drivers from emachine support site, the e620 is the same laptop as the aspire 5515. ran the windows experience and the aero is back at 3.0. wish there was a way to upgrade graphics, its embeeded to board, only the processor can be upgraded as long as its compatable and am2 socket. ebay has processors but they are used ones. i want new one.

Ask a Question