windows could not update registry data in the installation

Reaction score
windows could not update registry data in the installation

That's the message i get everytime i try to clean install windows on a separate partition...

currently i use XP sp3 and it just won't go any further thatn that, after which it rolls back...

any suggestions?

Reaction score
:ciao:Welcome to the site efoks

Are you booting from DVD or Installing from within WinXP?

Have you tried burning a new copy of the DVD?

Did you download from a Torrent site or from Microsoft?

Reaction score
Hi clifford_cooley!

Thanks for welcoming me! :)

Well, the DVD that I've burnt, won't boot itself, my laptop starts XP, even though teh boot option is CD drive...

I've downloaded it three times from MS website and burnt 2 DVD's...:(

So the only option to start this procedure is tu run a DVD while I'm running XP. It then extracts all the files starts installation, then re-boots and throws me that message after a while...then rolls back...

I've had Beta installed before and didn't have any problems...but I've deleted the whole partition after a while...could that be a probem?

Reaction score
Was you dual booting WinXP and Win7?
And then delete the Win7 Partition?

If this is the case Windows 7 maybe looking for the registry files that you deleted!
You may need to repair the windows XP boot files to remove all evidence of Windows 7 to do a clean install

If you had Windows 7 on a second drive the boot files was placed on the first drive over writing the XP boot files - And a simple delete of the second drive doesnt completely remove Windows 7

Reaction score
So how od i delete these windows 7 files in the registry then? because Xp boots without problems as if it would be the only OS...at least now...

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
One solution seems to be to decline installing updates... don't allow the installer to look for updates during the installation process, and simply install the updates after Windows is installed.

Hopefully this will help at least one of you, let us know if it doesn't.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Whilst the offered solutions may work, I can only see that you have a problem with your DVD or the drive. I would suggest you concentrate in that area. Try and burn at aslower speed. Forgive me if I talk down, but you are watching the screen when you boot? The DVD is not auto and a message should pop up telling you to press any key to use the DVD at or near the start.

Which MS site did you download from? These are all subscription sites and are normally perfect?

Reaction score
im having the same problem guys. im installing from a dvd disc and basically i've got windows vista currently installed and i am trying to install it over that. i keep getting this message "windows could not update registry data in the installation" i've even done a full recovery and tried all the solutions you've posted above. funnily though this message came up on another laptop which i upgraded from windows vista and it installed perfectly on another laptop. but for some reason on this new laptop it still isnt working. help please.

Reaction score
:confused:Same problem here. Going from Vista ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate. Using purchased upgrade DVD. Tried solutions mentioned however it still rolls back. Any other ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Install setup from Flash disk, then when the installations is running, at first restart take out the Flash disk, then put in again when the windows start...
the words " windows could not update the registry" will not appear.
i have tried it, and sucsess..
or if it way fails, do this:
prepare ur computer for installations for a week ( do nothing to ur computer i mean)
then ask help from God
and smash ur computer

Ask a Question