Windows 8 forums?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Hey guys, just having a flash forward here. Maybe this is a message to Ian... But is there gonna be a "w8forums.com"? The thing is, I really love this community but once Windows 8 beta comes out, I'll be off of Windows 7 and there really won't be a point in hanging out here... But I probably will if there isn't an Ian-admin'D Windows 8 forums. :) See you guys around!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I also certainly hope that when the next Windows release is made, as a beta version, that the same group is running the forum. That will be a decision for Ian to make, perhaps with the advice of the moderators that we now have. However, that would be hard to pull off without having a separate forum. Windows 7 will live at least through the release after the next one. That will be putting Ian at running three separate Windows forums, unless he handed the reigns of this one to one of the current moderators. I hope Ian stays, too, as he knows how to put together and run a forum. We live in such a fast pace world now, mabye it would be a good idea just to enjoy what we have for today. Sure, there's no denying that Windows will move forward. But with the official release of Windows 7 being only a little over three months, there's no need to rush things. There's a little too much Windows 8 talk around here, when no one knows for certain when it will be. Some says it will be as soon as the third quarter of 2011, some says the fourth quarter of 2012. I, too want to get the next beta release, but I'll concern myself with that when the time comes. I live one day at a time, without being overly concerned over the past or the distant future. And for now, I'm enjoying the present time and the learning that I receive here at Windows 7 Forums.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys, just having a flash forward here. Maybe this is a message to Ian... But is there gonna be a "w8forums.com"? The thing is, I really love this community but once Windows 8 beta comes out, I'll be off of Windows 7 and there really won't be a point in hanging out here... But I probably will if there isn't an Ian-admin'D Windows 8 forums. :) See you guys around!
I agree Betaman. But many such forums do provide both. It is a question of individual focus. I was an enthusiastic XP, then Vista, helper. But I found, in spite of my better instincts, with each in turn I began to neglect the section devoted to the older OS, until I ignored it entirely. (But I still remained on the site, as the double option was there.)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That was exactly the point I was making. When Windows 8 gets in its stride, as this sites own Windows 8 site is already set up, I will undoubtably desert this one for the 8 site.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Try typing in w8forums.com and see what happens (it should re-direct you to the new Windows 8 forums) :D I set up a Windows 8 site a few days ago, although it's just a shell at the moment. As Windows 8 gets closer to release then I'll upgrade the win8forums.com to a new design and add more sections and articles to it.

The Windows 7 Forums will be active for as long as people are still using the OS, but we'll also have the Windows 8 forums to talk on once that is released. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I for one will be at both Forums as many PC users will not just dump Windows 7 when Windows 8 is released :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I for one will be at both Forums as many PC users will not just dump Windows 7 when Windows 8 is released :)
Veedaz, I agree with you 100%. There's nothing wrong with Windows 7, and it will survive through the second release after Windows 7. Does anyone still have Win 2K Pro? I do. And currently, it's still being supported.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This may have drifted from the Op's meaning?

There are really geeky people out there (Look at the definition of Betaman's sig) I maybe among them. If I have good access, I will be exchanging so many views, and hopefully help, for Windows 8, that I will probably relegate 7 to a long second place.

I wrote masses of material, in blogs and help, on XP originally, and subsequently Vista. I feel sadness when I have to say, I have not looked at my own notes for more than a year now.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, wherever these blogs are now, I'm sure that there's still many XP and Vista users taking your advice on whatever topics that you made. You're fairly intelligent on a lot of these things, and I learned from you, too. OS's goes on, and so must we, in order to stay current. For me, a computer is more than just something to email, post on forums, online shopping, etc. It's a learning experience that's both challenging and rewarding. I could have stuck with XP Pro another four years, but decided to move ahead. And haven't regretted it one bit. For I have met many people here on this forum, and I love it here. And when Windows 8 comes out, I hope to see many of the people that I've met here on that forum, too. Time doesn't stand still (although at times, I wish that it would), and neither can we.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That was exactly the point I was making. When Windows 8 gets in its stride, as this sites own Windows 8 site is already set up, I will undoubtably desert this one for the 8 site.
For me, there is no reason to abandon one site for another. I will probably wait a couple of years until the betas of Windows 8 start coming out.

Geez... windows 7 just went RTM last July.

Reaction score
It was not Ian's intention to draw forum members so early. It was his intention to get an early start, for when things did start rolling out for Windows 8. He would already have the forum setup and drawing hits with the search engines.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Hm. True. Anyway, I'm really happy. Excited for Windows 8 now!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It was not Ian's intention to draw forum members so early. It was his intention to get an early start, for when things did start rolling out for Windows 8. He would already have the forum setup and drawing hits with the search engines.
That's cool! It's all good. Since we're all getting an early start on new technology, I want to reserve my portable fusion reactor now! :call:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I regard the major achievment on Ian's part is grabbing such a very outstanding Windows 8 name for the site. Leave it too late and such names are out of the window.

Later. Just realised what I wrote!!! No pun was intended -it came off my keyboard.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you like the name Dave :) It should hopefully help when people are searching for it.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head there - that's what I had in mind. All set up for now, ready to go, but not actively promoted until the time that Betas start appearing. :)

Ask a Question