Windows 8 App Store

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ars Technica have a news article which mentions a Windows 8 App Store is in the works, as well as the IE9 Beta arriving in August:

A set of slides distributed to Microsoft's PC partners in April of this year has been leaked onto the Internet. The slides outline Microsoft's vision for Windows 8's hardware ecosystem: the form factors the software giant will be targeting, the hardware capabilities that will be offered, and the demands that these parameters will place on OEMs.

A new "Windows Store" is perhaps the most ambitious feature described. Microsoft would offer a store service to third-party software developers. The store would allow easy discoverability of applications both from within Windows and from the Web. The store would handle standard features like account management and software updates, as well as providing capabilities such as the ability to replicate applications and settings across different devices. The store would be curated, so only applications that reached a certain quality standard would be permitted. The basic model, then, is a cross between Apple's App Store and Valve's Steam.
You can read the full article here:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...-app-store-for-windows-ie9-beta-in-august.ars

Reaction score
If it all came together, think of the possibilities. A single download purchase site with a range of software approved by and compatible with Microsoft O/S and each other.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I hope this becomes a reality, thanks for the info Ian :top:

Reaction score
Hello members & Visitors,

yes,under strict security microsoft are still not coming to the party about win 8 and its actually being deceided about its NAME,here is source link enjoy the read .

Source Link:zdnet.

Windows Live gets cloud enhancements

Motherboards running another kind of Windows

Developers get Windows 7 phones next month

Windows 7 SP1 beta due in July

Malware lurking in Windows Mobile apps

Google bans internal use of Windows?

Firefox for Windows takes 64-bit route

http://www.zdnet.com.au/microsoft-s-windows-8-strategy-photos-339304142.htm

regards
jeffreyobrien (JOB)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Google banning internal use of Windows: Who cares? They have always been about censorship, and it's nothing new. Try to install Bing on Google's OS, you'll see!

Firefox for Windows takes 64 bit route: Way to go, it's about time someone did!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no 64bit flash yet for W7. But there is a Firefox 64. The more 64Bit apps the more pressure on Adobe.

(added "for W7" because it's all I was thinking about, as that's what I have and this is W7forums, but it's since been noted there IS 64 flash for linux. Didn't mean to be inaccurate, just didn't think it relevant)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
JeffreyO'Brian - You ROCK! :thrasher::rock:

Thanks again for a very useful and informative post!

Nibs

P.S.
Will the Firefox 64-bit browser install and run as an independent browser, separate from the standard 32-bit one?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
There is no 64bit flash yet. But there is a Firefox 64. The more 64Bit apps the more pressure on Adobe.
I am beginning to wonder if Adobe has their proverbial "cranium inserted into their rectum" when it comes to writing code for the Flash 64-bit version? ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If Adobe can't get the job done (they've had at least 5-6 years, since XP Pro x64), it's time for them to get out of town. Sure, there are other options that gives you the option to uncheck the toolbars & apps you don't want, but who wanted the problems that ships with Adobe? There was no option to uncheck the security breaches, and other than through the Secunia Personal Software Inspector, there were NO warnings whatsoever.

I ran the advisor and it was revealed that it was a Category 5 threat, among the worst you can have on your computer.

So, I hope that Firefox introduces their 64 bit browser without Adobe, period. We have enough computer maintenance to go through, and don't need an app that won't even update itself w/o you clicking on to it, or worse yet, through a third party.

Reaction score
JeffreyO'Brian - You ROCK! :thrasher::rock:

Thanks again for a very useful and informative post!

Nibs

P.S.
Will the Firefox 64-bit browser install and run as an independent browser, separate from the standard 32-bit one?
Nibs,Firefox is available now as open source code to build 64 bit versions ... If you just run firefox, it will start as a 64-bit executable,ONLY on a 64bit O/S,Browsers compiled from Firefox source code may run on various operating systems as you would already be aware of But as for ... Mac version. [116] [edit] 64-bit builds. As of Firefox 3.6 ... Forbes.com called Firefox the best browser in all,Nibs check this wiki link out

hope this helps you determine if FF will run as a standalone(independent) browser,m8 my answer is YES

all the best buddy:beer:
Jeff (JOB)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
hope this helps you determine if FF will run as a standalone(independent) browser,m8 my answer is YES
Thanks JOB! I downloaded the v3.6.3, I try to stay away from alpha versions.

It loaded separate icon and all is good.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
3.6.6 is doing well, in Windows & in Mint, the exception is that Mint x64 has Flash, where the Windows version doesn't. Kind of makes you wonder if Adobe really wants to make some serious cash, or twiddle their thumbs at Windows users.

Ask a Question