Windows 7 x64 or x86

Reaction score
i wanna to upgrade my OS from XP to windows 7 but i found that there are 2 options:
windows 7 ultimate x64 and windows 7 ultimate x86
my hardware is:

processor: AMD phenom II x2 550 3.1GHz
MB: GA-MA785GM-US2H
RAM: 2 GB
Hard: 500 GB

so what will be the perfect choice??

thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can use either version with your hardware specs. I would do the x64 version, its the latest and x86 is becoming antiquated.

To AVOID any problems, it is HIGHLY recommended that you do a clean install though.

One question you may want to consider is; Do you really need the Ultimate version?

Most users won't use the extra features that Ultimate has. Windows 7 Professional will fit the bill for most users.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi mon4012 and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

With your spec i would go 64-bit and maybe treat your self to some more RAM at the same time and do go for a clean install with full format :)

Reaction score
i did not expect these quick answers so, thank you Nibiru2012 and Veedaz but i have 2 questions what do you mean by CLEAN INSTALL?, and what is better the ultimate or the professional windows 7? is it take more space or faster and for a normal user what is better?

thanks again

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
For all of that extra money that you would be paying for Ultimate, you can have Home Premium and the extra 2GB RAM that you could use. I've looked around, and there's more Ultimate OS's for sale that all other Win 7 versions put together. The online market is flooded with them. I'm running Home Premium, and it's working fine, and it's all that I need.

Reaction score
thanks again but what is the required space for windows 7 ultimata, professional, and home premium

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
thanks again but what is the required space for windows 7 ultimata, professional, and home premium

Including the Paging File and space for the Hibernation (sleep mode), it will take about 12 GB roughly. If you move the Paging File to another hard drive it will save about 3-4GB of space. If you disable Hibernation, you'll save another 2-4 GB depending on the amount of RAM you have.

I always move my Paging File to a separate hard drive, as Windows works better, less fragmentation too.

I use a dedicated 64GB partition to install Windows 7 and all programs to, some here will say that's too big. Maybe, but I've never had any issues doing it that way and several of my friends who are MSDN members and TechNet members say that is just about ideal.

Since the size of hard drives are 360GB and bigger, it doesn't really matter that the partition is 64GB in size. Right now my C drive is that size and all the software installed plus Windows 7 is taking up about 24GB of space, so I could get by with a 32 or 40GB partition size and be just fine.

Reaction score
ok the summary will be:
Using windows 7 x64 which is better than x86 according to my hardware
Using professional or home premium to save some money

what is better to disable Hibernation or not??
thanks

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If you don't use the feature, then disable it. I for one have never used it. It sounds like you have never used the feature with XP so I don't think you would miss it.

It just puts the computer to "sleep" so to speak.

Plus you'll save some space on the C drive.

Windows 7 x64 will be able to utilize the full capabilities of your system, since its x64 CPU and such. It won't necessarily be faster all the time, but in many instances it will.

Later on, if you can afford another 2GB of RAM, then the x64 OS will be able to fully utilize it and things will go quicker.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you don't use the feature, then disable it. I for one have never used it. It sounds like you have never used the feature with XP so I don't think you would miss it.

It just puts the computer to "sleep" so to speak.

Plus you'll save some space on the C drive.

Windows 7 x64 will be able to utilize the full capabilities of your system, since its x64 CPU and such. It won't necessarily be faster all the time, but in many instances it will.

"Later on, if you can afford another 2GB of RAM, then the x64 OS will be able to fully utilize it and things will go quicker".
That's where getting Win 7 Home Premium comes in. Ultimate costs much more. The saved cash will buy the extra 2GB RAM upgrade.

Ask a Question