Windows 7 x64 - No sound output

Reaction score
I've just done a clean install of windows 7 x64 onto a new hd, all drivers are installed including the sound driver but I get no sound output to the speakers.

The soundscard is an onboard Realtek ALC662 HD Audio codec, I've tried the Microsoft driver as well as downloaded the latest Realtek and Gigabyte Azalia drivers. They all install fine but produce no output.
I have also tried installing an old Creative Audigy2 PCI card, this also installs fine but produces no output.

I had previously had Windows XP installed on this hardware and sound worked fine. I have also plugged the speakers into an adjacent system and they work fine. Plugging my old HD back in and booting XP the sound works fine.

It looks like a Windows7 issue, anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Have you tried the Realtek r238 Driver? Just a thought.

Reaction score
Hi bug2k10 - Welcome to w7forums

Have you downloaded the drivers from Realtek?
Realtek ALC662

All of realtek HD chipset drivers are packaged into one download which has full Windows 7 support. If you still have troubles after installing the driver, check all your settings to make sure the speaker channels are not being disabled.

One of the first places I check is the disable front panel detection option. Turning this option off if its not already will enable rear ports regardless of what the signal is from the front port.

Reaction score
Realtek only had a link to the latest 247 driver, I'll give the 238 a try if you have a link to it? thanks

I've checked the various speaker output options, levels and tried disabling the front panel detection, nothing has made any difference.

It does seem to be a Windows issue as using other pci soundcards exibits the same symptoms, all drivers install ok, there is just no sound out of the speakers.

Reaction score
Try removing the sound drivers from device manager and reboot before re-installing the drivers. I can't promise this will help but has been known to in the past.

Another option would be to check Windows Update for any optional updates. Windows Update must be set to check for optional updates first or it will not even look.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a go.

I have tried removing the drivers completely, rebooting and reinstalling, the drivers install correctly and appear to work fine, but the is just no sound from the speakers.

It is unusual that installing a pci soundcard (after disabling the o/b sound) also works fine, but there is no sound from that either.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I have already installed the latest Realtek 2.47 drivers, same result. The automatically installed Microsoft drivers also install fine and appear to work correctly as do the various Realtek and Gigabyte Azalia drivers there is just no sound out of the speakers.

I'm open to any suggestions you can come up with!

Reaction score
Hi,
I have the same problem, since yesterday I have no sound output even though it says everything works fine. In sound in the control panel the little green viewer doesn't move either.

I have an Asus P5K motherboard, I tried the Realtek HD audio driver R2.47, R2.46, even an older version or the one Windows 7 install by default.
The odd thing is that I had sound at the beginning, it's just since yesterday...
I tried uninstalling the updates that were done this day, doesn't work either...

I hope someone has a solution.

P.S : Sorry for the possible mistakes, English is not my first language.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I had this problem once when installing Windows 7 on my laptop. I installed the drivers from Windows Update and Dell for my sound (C-Major audio). What the problem was, the mulitmedia audio controller was not installed. I was lucky that I had a driver disc that had this on it. If all of your audio drivers have been installed with no results, this may be your problem.

Reaction score
Hm...I don't see any separate driver for a multimedia audio controler. In the Device manager, the only thing in the audio controler category is "Realtek High Definition Audio" which I've already uninstalled and reinstalled a few times :s

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, it's not a driver, but a piece of software (the multimedia audio controller) that I was referring to. But if that were the case, it would show up as being the problem during troubleshooting. It's been awhile since this happened, but when I install 7 on my laptop, I have to pull out my driver disc to load the device. Win 2K & XP Pro doesn't do like this, but the laptop was built in 2005. I was hoping this would be the answer for you, but the answer does lay somewhere, and I'd guess that it's a simple one.

Reaction score
Had this happen to SPDIF over HDMI output on my Dell XPS laptop a few months back. Sound simply disappeared after a windows update. A system restore solved the problem, and subsequent windows updates did not affect the sound...

Since yours is a fresh install, I am at a loss for what you can do about it.

VeNoM, the system restore solution might work for you. It's worth a try.

Reaction score
Well...I did try to use the system restore, but for some reason it said I couldn't access the file and to try to disable the antivirus....which I did, still didn't work, in the end I tried so many things that now I don't even have a good restoration point anymore :/
It really is strange...the sound worked for 2 weeks without any problem then...after a windows update (or maybe a flash player update ? Oo which would be even odder) ....poof no sound >_>

Reaction score
I fixed the sound bug : I uninstalled all windows updates, Flash and my sound drivers and then let Windows update install everything back then I restart the computer.

Reaction score
I fixed the sound bug : I uninstalled all windows updates, Flash and my sound drivers and then let Windows update install everything back then I restart the computer.
Glad to hear that worked out.

Ask a Question