SOLVED Windows 7 x64 freeze - Possible Solution - ASUS mobo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here since I have browsed through the whole net to find a solution to my problem. Im not a PC expert I tend to play video games mostly but I tend to have some knowledge about computers and have some close friends that know more than me in the OS's.

First of all I would like to say that this exact problem occured to me long time ago when I downloaded a Windows 7 OS from a torrent. back then I thought that its common for the OS to be buggy and doing these things so I switched back to windows xp. Back then I also had a gfx card that supported dx11 and the only reason that I wanted back then to install Windows 7 was the dx11 support for next gen games.

1 week ago or so bioshock 2 came out so I was happy that finally I could see dx11 in a video game. I went on to buy a legit copy of Windows 7 since I wanted to get over the problem it used to have with the downloaded version.

Now onto the problem. First of all back then we also tried several things to my computer now we are 99% sure its probably a driver problem. After reading some posts I might do some tweaking on the BIOS.

About my specs/drivers.
Im using a intel core duo 2.66ghz with geil ram running at 1066 mhz, also ATi Radeon 5870 with the latest drivers, using a razer deathadder mouse along with a microsoft reclusa keyboard. also using a logitech g25 steering wheel, and 2 external drives through usb. so all my usb ports are occupied. i also got a corsair 650watt supply.

Right now Im at work and will try to attach any files you might want from the events or something else ( please explain to me how to do these things when u ask em because im no expert ). oh we also did a memtest so ram's fine.

Oh yes the problem. Whenever I leave my PC open at night to download a torrent with utorrent, when I get to my PC I see its been frozen. what I mean by that, the keyboard isnt responding not even caps lock on/off, the mouse is stuck and cant do anything! Back when I was playing world of warcraft I knew how to cause this same exact freezing. Here is the catch , when I tried entering with my lvl 80 which was located into a big city that had many players around , this problem occured, but when I was entering with an alt lvl 1 to an empty world, the problem didnt occur. What the hell is this?? SOmething that had to do with the internet?? because I can play modern warfare 2 non stop or anyother game and my PC doesnt freeze!!! I can play 5 hours non stop my PC gets nothing, when I try downloading a torrent after a while it freezes. On a side note which is very very strange, when I downloaded Friends which was 28gb the first time I installed Windows 7 the PC didnt cause a freeze and it downloaded properly. maybe something that has to do with my external drives or something that has to do with the internet? then again im thinking about the bios.

Btw my 1 external drive is 500gb the other is 1TB. my main drive C: is 1TB.

PS: I dont play wow anymore to test if it still happens.

This is what I wrote long time ago on another windows 7 forum to get help.

After some replies and some tests on my own I have found out that the possible reason for my PC to freeze is something that has to do with my ethernet port!!
After unplugging my modem from the ethernet and have access through wi-fi I havent had any freeze the last 1 hour or so :)

Any suggestions on how to fix my ethernet port? cause ethernet has better speed than wi-fi. ;)

(A friend suggested that I download only at wi-fi mode since he thinks there must be something wrong with my ethernet port. Gonna see how that goes and report back.

Edit: so far so good, no freeze the last 9 minutes (this morning in 5 minutes it had froze, I wanted to see how long will it take to freeze when downloading)
btw I saw on windows update about an Atheros Ethernet something,its an optional update, shall I install that?)

My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core Duo 2,66GHz
Windows 7 x64 home edition
ASUS p5k <- from here I think lies the problem on its ports.
4x2 gb ram geil 1066mhz
ATi Radeon 5870
4 drives, 2 external, 2 internal

Reaction score
Hmmm after installing an update from windows update / Atheros Ethernet something I havent had a freeze the last 5 minutes or so, will leave it more to see how it goes... could that been the fix in my problem..? if yes then im amazed...

30 minutes into downloading through ethernet, still no freeze, will go to work and leave my PC open to test the result. write back in 5-6 hours.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Atheros update was for you Ethernet driver, the hardware you use to connect to the internet with.

It's always best to prior to a new install of an operating system to download the latest drivers driver for all your hardware.

I usually go to the motherboard website, with some drivers like chipset and others I'll go to the their respective websites.

I am sure that Atheros has an even more up to date driver at their website.

Usually Windows Update drivers are about 6 months older than the latest drivers.

Reaction score
Thing is asus has stopped the feedback on the p5k 2 years now. And also I saw from other sites that the cd drivers and the internet ones are kinda crappy.

Anyways I think my problem with my PC freezing has been fixed now thanks to windows update :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can always still get the latest drivers for hardware, etc. from the websites.

Just because ASUS stopped supporting the motherboard does not mean that Intel has stopped supporting the chipset for it.

Same goes for most of the other components on the motherboard.

Reaction score
OMG this is so annoying, What was teh Answer to the Fix????

So how did you fix this problem? Would have been nice after reading teh whole thread and your HUGE retorical first post, if you had taken the time to provide what you learned while troubleshooting and fixing this issue!!! I have more information about my Freezing problem to add to this.

While researching the problem in teh system log, I and also getting ot read teh BSOD, my error appears to be related to "rdbss.sys" which is basically a read write subsystem file. Can be removed and then reinstalled but to avoid further complications, I would rather not do this step as a first potential fix. TO Risky if you knwo what I mean. I have also use SFC /scannow and all integrated system files are correct and nothing was done in teh scan. Reinstalled nVidia GTX275 Drivers, uninstalled and removed teh Descrete Ageia PhysX PCIe 1x and removed it from teh system as well as Software related to it. Did this Actually before reinstalling the Video Drivers from teh control panel. Ran Tune Up Utilities Disk Doctor as of this moment it is running, Prior to Tune Up Utilities I also ran Check Disk with no negative results.

To Provide more information about this I am actually on a Recent Image restore using Windows System Backup. Thsi image is known to work Great untill now, and has worked Wonderful for the last 4 days, I did notice that there are some recent Windows Updates, but have been to lazy to read up on them. Personally it is faster to just do another Windwos Back Up Recovery then to read a Huge white paper of the three recent files for me, adn have better results with less effort. I am not sure why Windows update might have been performed, because I don't have it set to Download and install, however there are kids here that might have seen the alert and performed teh task for me without permission, before leaving for school. I will look into this and see if that might have happened. I don't think that it is a possibility so much becuase well, they all know that I can look back at logs and see what was done and when, and where from. If the information is required because someone reads the Whitepapers, well then I will post the answer if Windows Update had been performed!!

Reaction score
So how did you fix this problem? Would have been nice after reading teh whole thread and your HUGE retorical first post, if you had taken the time to provide what you learned while troubleshooting and fixing this issue!!! I have more information about my Freezing problem to add to this.

While researching the problem in teh system log, I and also getting ot read teh BSOD, my error appears to be related to "rdbss.sys" which is basically a read write subsystem file. Can be removed and then reinstalled but to avoid further complications, I would rather not do this step as a first potential fix. TO Risky if you knwo what I mean. I have also use SFC /scannow and all integrated system files are correct and nothing was done in teh scan. Reinstalled nVidia GTX275 Drivers, uninstalled and removed teh Descrete Ageia PhysX PCIe 1x and removed it from teh system as well as Software related to it. Did this Actually before reinstalling the Video Drivers from teh control panel. Ran Tune Up Utilities Disk Doctor as of this moment it is running, Prior to Tune Up Utilities I also ran Check Disk with no negative results.

To Provide more information about this I am actually on a Recent Image restore using Windows System Backup. Thsi image is known to work Great untill now, and has worked Wonderful for the last 4 days, I did notice that there are some recent Windows Updates, but have been to lazy to read up on them. Personally it is faster to just do another Windwos Back Up Recovery then to read a Huge white paper of the three recent files for me, adn have better results with less effort. I am not sure why Windows update might have been performed, because I don't have it set to Download and install, however there are kids here that might have seen the alert and performed teh task for me without permission, before leaving for school. I will look into this and see if that might have happened. I don't think that it is a possibility so much becuase well, they all know that I can look back at logs and see what was done and when, and where from. If the information is required because someone reads the Whitepapers, well then I will post the answer if Windows Update had been performed!!
Please see the bsod section of the forum, particularly the sticky thread, if you need help with bsods.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you follow closely he did in fact mention what solved his issue. Basically he said he downloaded a driver update from Windows Update and he would report back whether it worked and six hours later he said it was still working and the thread can be marked solved. So, his problem was solved when windows installed more current drivers for his ethernet connection.

The correct latest drivers are always a good idea so if there are drivers for your ethernet try updating. The disclaimer is my word CORRECT, too many products offer to find the correct drivers and instead they are WRONG which causes much more trouble. Even windows update may not have the most current drivers; it is usually best to visit the websites of the actual hardware vendors inside your computer, examples Intel or Realtek.

If you are getting BSODs, follow TorrentGs instructions and he'll fix you right up - he is our BSOD guru.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you follow closely he did in fact mention what solved his issue. Basically he said he downloaded a driver update from Windows Update and he would report back whether it worked and six hours later he said it was still working and the thread can be marked solved. So, his problem was solved when windows installed more current drivers for his ethernet connection.

The correct latest drivers are always a good idea so if there are drivers for your ethernet try updating. The disclaimer is my word CORRECT, too many products offer to find the correct drivers and instead they are WRONG which causes much more trouble. Even windows update may not have the most current drivers; it is usually best to visit the websites of the actual hardware vendors inside your computer, examples Intel or Realtek.

If you are getting BSODs, follow TorrentGs instructions and he'll fix you right up - he is our BSOD guru.
i have nothing that hever happens with my network adapter ever so far. i seem to have fixed it enough to preventingit from crashing and or freezing. it was more linked to DirectX, so i removed what I could of DirectX9c Nov_2007, then installed that again. My result was that teh crashes and freezes stop as I mentioned just a moment ago. With this I know this isn't a networking problem at all and none of the event logs suggested it.

however I do have some major lag now in my games that last about 5-10 seconds, and is about every 10-15 minutes apart. it happens only while I am gaming, or so that I can notice anyway. All my Drivers for the video related problems are restored, Didn't work. Reinstalled to a previous version we nvidia people have been using now for about 5 months known to work well, still nothing new. Something else is screwy, so I will dig up that torrentG user, and see what he has to say. if you have any ideas that might further be associated with DX problems, and or spywares that effects DirectX, then please share the information. i am almost certain this is a spyware thing, but nothing in the case is conclusive. i can say as this problem Peaked, my kaspersky internet security Suit had become corrupted, and the software probably black listed it if it was in fact a infection of some kind, which basically means that the file has sense been removed that was detectable, and is no longer able to be provided! I quickly reinstalled KasperSky, but I had to completely remove the previous installation, which is why the log about anything that has happend which might be virus related is gone!!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The latest DirectX 11 (Jun 8, 2010) can be downloaded Here.

It is up to you of course but active virus protection, such as Kaspersky, are well known to slow down computers. I do not recommend going without anti-virus (a necessary evil as it were) but the version you pick can effect your results greatly. If the slowdown continues try uninstalliing Kaspersky and see if your problem goes away. If it does, consider using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) as a replacement.

Ask a Question