Windows 7 wont install Adobe cs3

Reaction score
A friend of mine finally convinced me to install Windows 7, and he had good reason to. This OS really lives up to the hype thats been going on...but, Im having trouble installing an ESSENTIAL program(s) to this great OS, Adobe CS3 Design Premium. I installed Windows 7 (32-bit) from a DVD, with the product key, which I think is the "clean install" Ive been hearing about. I read something that says Windows 7 doesn't recognize a certain file associated with Cs3, maybe thats why it wont load. I m running on a pentium 4, with 2.75GB of ram, 32 bit.

- When I insert the software DVD, the autoplay feature pops up, then Windows "User Account Control" asks me if I want to allow the changes.

- I click "Yes," and then the "Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium" window pops up and gives me the option to: Install CS3 Design Premium; Install Adobe Acrobat 8; and Browse CD.

- I choose "Install CS3" and then a window "Initializing Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium" with a progress bar.

- The bar fills up, but when it finishes nothing happens.

I checked the tasked manager and see that, that adobe setup.exe is running somehow, but nothing happens. I have search on Adobe forums and google for possible solutions, but nothing has worked so far. I have tried:

- Runnning the setup application from the DVD (in Adobe Design Premium CS3 folder) as "Administrator"
- Ran "wincs3clean," to remove any existing adobe programs from the system.
- Ran ccleaner, to fix/repair any registry problems or anything else.
- Tried copying the content of the DVD onto the desktop and run it as Admin.
- Used the command.exe (as admin) and ran the "regsvr32 jscript.dll" and "regsvr32 vb(something)"
- Ran Windows 7 in "simplified" mode, where I disabled any services/processes from interferring with the setup, through the msconfig feature.
- Cleared the Windows temporary files, as this was a solution for Vista, I thought might work.
- Tried updating my drivers, everything was uptodate.
- Called Adobe Technical support, waited about 30 mins, and then was told "Adobe does not support Windows 7, so the install may or maynot work." (They could help if they wanted to).
- Tried restarting in a previous version, to see if it would install, but the admin password that I had before isnt working now for some reason.
- Uninstalled flash player before install attempt.
- Ran Windows Installer Clean up.

Ive seen reports of people having Adobe CS3 installed on Windows 7 and working fine, so I know its possible. Its just frustrating that I cant get it to work. Somebody (bodies), please help me. Let me know if there is any other info needed. Ive struggling with this for some time now.

Thanks

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
The info about Adobe not support Windows 7 is just ridiculous and absurd. Especially considering how much Adobe chargers for Photoshop, there's just no reason for it. Sounds like they just don't want to offer support if they can get away with it.

I have not had any issue running CS3 under Windows 7 here, so as you say there is something unusual going on with your install.

I'm not sure where to begin, so something I'd try myself would be to disable UAC. Reboot, then try running the CS3 installer as an administrator. If it still hangs and doesn't do anything after 5 minutes, you might try downloading Photoshop CS3 directly from Adobe's website. It will be a large download but you can use your legit key on it.

Reaction score
I have been running the entire CS3 suite on Windows 7 x64 since FEbruary. There are absolutely no problems here.

I agree with Kougar's install process suggestions, but I haven't even had to do that. Insert the CD, and it installs straight away. No funny business.

Reaction score
Hmmm, I had problems getting CS3 to run on Vista X64 - (Dual Opteron) machine. It works now but is very quirky - especially with the bridge piece of the suite. I can imagine that there could be problems since the code base of W7 is different.

CS3 was probably tightly compiled for the versions of Windows that were out when it came out. I would try the install again with UAC disabled. I have found that to be a big problem with other software on Vista.

You may not get any help from Adobe, since CS4 has been out for a while.

Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure that if you document you trial in detail and post, you will be able to help other who may be having the same problem.

Ask a Question