Windows 7 with old hardware

Reaction score
Will it in Windows 7 be better with old hardware drivers. I mean, many devices I tryd to install on Windows Vista wouldn't work cause there were only drivers for windows xp. That my only complain about Vista. Will it in W7 be better?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, as if you can't get a device to work in Vista it probably won't work in Windows 7. If it's down to application compatibility, there are some improved tools such as XPM which allow you to emulate a Windows XP environment in Windows 7 to run software.

Reaction score
You might give it a shot as I have several Windows XP drivers running on Windows 7 between all of my systems. They're happy as a clam.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
As Thrax says, you can try using XP drivers but I wouldn't suggest it. I don't think even compatibility mode emulation will allow XP 32bit drivers to run on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

Reaction score
It's like Microsoft doesnt think about these problems at all. It's not that it is inpossible to program it in a operating system, right?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not all the fault of MS as some hardware manufacturers provide poor driver support. It's easy enough for them to rewrite drivers to work with Vista/Windows 7, as long as the hardware is still in reasonable use. Of course, if your hardware is 10 years old then it's going to be hard to find drivers for it.

That said, my parents have a scanner that is over 10 years old and works with Windows 7 :lol:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It's like Microsoft doesnt think about these problems at all. It's not that it is inpossible to program it in a operating system, right?
Microsoft, as huge a company as they are, doesn't have the manpower to write drivers for every major piece of hardware created and sold. They incorporate plenty of bare minimal drivers where they can, but it's up to the hardware manufacturer to develop current (or fully functional) drivers for their products.

That said, my parents have a scanner that is over 10 years old and works with Windows 7 :lol:
And I've heard of several printer/scanner manufacturers that had hardware on the market, but discontinued it and released new stuff when Vista launched... and intentionally never released drivers for Vista for their older products for the sole purpose of forcing people to upgrade, even though people were buying it off shelves six months before Vista came along.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
And I've heard of several printer/scanner manufacturers that had hardware on the market, but discontinued it and released new stuff when Vista launched... and intentionally never released drivers for Vista for their older products for the sole purpose of forcing people to upgrade, even though people were buying it off shelves six months before Vista came along.
My own scanner included, it was a Umax one and the driver support was terrible. In the end I ended up going with a Canon Linoscan and it worked out of the box in Windows 7 :)

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, so you would be better just finding Vista drivers and using compat. mode. It's also funny, I got the MYST, Riven, and MYST III 10-year anniversary pack and Riven came out in 1996, so it was made for Windows 95. Well, here, 14 years later, I can run it in this RC OS without touching compatibility mode! I was really amazed, because on the beta I had to go through a bunch of tweaking to get it to work.

Haha, I just noticed this, everyone who posted here except for jickster is a special position- Admin, Mod, VIP, hah.

Reaction score
All my drivers installed without a hitch, however when i tried the MS flight simulator 2002, it wouldnt install, does anyone know of any patches or fixes for this?
But my drivers installed fine, but i do have an odd problem with my co-processor? it shows in device manager, a little caution arrow on its icon?

Reaction score
You might give it a shot as I have several Windows XP drivers running on Windows 7 between all of my systems. They're happy as a clam.

Thrax, Coud you be of any assistance in showin me how to install a soundblaster live! card on my system?...it wont read the card and i have all the drivers but they wont work...other ppl ive seen on other forums said they got the card to work...but ive tried almost everything w/in my limited tech capabilities any assitance would be greatly appreiciated

Ask a Question