Windows 7 will not shut down

Reaction score
hello guys been reading the forums for a while so decided to join,this is my problem
every time i shut down my pc it displays shutting down but never does i,ve left it for hours but no good,so have to shut down manually. i,ve used system restore but still no joy
=============hope somebody;s got some ideas i,ve run out of options===========
regards----bob

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Bob :)

Are you using the RC build, and does it shut down OK if you boot in to safe mode?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Also, check your running processes (free Process Explorer works in Win7) and see if anything is running that might be causing the problem. Have you tried just Logging Off instead of shutdown and does that work or hang?

Reaction score
windows will not shut down

Also, check your running processes (free Process Explorer works in Win7) and see if anything is running that might be causing the problem. Have you tried just Logging Off instead of shutdown and does that work or hang?

thanks to ian and draceena for your reply=right lets get started,booted from safe mode,still the same=========then rebooted as normal and logged off and then shut down,after about 15 minutes the shutdown screen changed to log in screen clicked the shutdown button in corner after 45minutes the screen was still there and pc still running=
thanks=bob

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
That's... interesting. What programs do you have installed on your computer that run processes in the background? This is all I can think of. Perhaps there is something that is running upon boot that doesn't like to go away.

Reaction score

That's... interesting. What programs do you have installed on your computer that run processes in the background? This is all I can think of. Perhaps there is something that is running upon boot that doesn't like to go away.
hello again guys still have same problem but noticed in device manager coprocessor with no drivers tried every where to find driver no luck dont even know what it supports downloaded alldrivers from asrock and nvidia but still no joy would you think this is the problem about not shutting down============regards to all==========bob

Reaction score
hello again guys still have same problem but noticed in device manager coprocessor with no drivers tried every where to find driver no luck dont even know what it supports downloaded alldrivers from asrock and nvidia but still no joy would you think this is the problem about not shutting down============regards to all==========bob

just to update you all found it was nvidia nforce management controller driver =======
downloaded and all sorted shuts down now as before?????????????????????
thanks guys=see you soon=====bob

Reaction score
Hey ya, I have two suggestions to try and do.
FIrst of all, run cmd as administrator. Secondly type in chkdsk /r
This will repair any bad sectors your hard drive has.
If that doesnt resolve the problem, get a newly burned disk with Windows 7 R/C on it, and burn it at the slowest speed possible.
1) Turn on your PC, and log on to your account.
2) Stick in your newly burned Windows 7 disk.
3) Close the run setup.exe box
4) Click start -> search run -> click it
5) Type in sfc /scannow

Doing this will repair any system files that might be causing your shutdown error.

Reaction score
hi where do you download this as cant find it at nvidia.com, please help got the same problem, everything else is fine (windows 7 bought dvd has same problem!)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It sounds like he downloaded & used a motherboard driver. You would need to know if you have a Nvidia or Intel motherboard then go to the respective website and get the proper drivers.

Reaction score

hello guys as draceena said my mobo was an asrock and downloaded drivers from there,any way has any body installed the full version of w7 yet

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
hello guys as draceena said my mobo was an asrock and downloaded drivers from there,any way has any body installed the full version of w7 yet
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition as we speak. No issues as of yet. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, will do

It sounds like he downloaded & used a motherboard driver. You would need to know if you have a Nvidia or Intel motherboard then go to the respective website and get the proper drivers.

Seems the problem is with my audiophile 192, the beta windows 7 drivers allow the system to close down but they crack and pop whilst watching video or listening to mp3, so are hopeless, the cista drivers work perfect but stop the shut down.

Strange

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
hi where do you download this as cant find it at nvidia.com, please help got the same problem, everything else is fine (windows 7 bought dvd has same problem!)
Go to the website of your mobo manufacturer and download the correct driver from there. Be sure you go to the page where the model of the mobo is listed so you get the proper driver.

Reaction score
I do also have this same problem, but the only thing is when I try to shut down the computer. It restarts.. I have disables all wake power settings any ideas?

Reaction score
This issue could either be Software or Hardware related. Boot into Safe Mode and check if you can shut down properly.
Refer this link to boot your computer in Safe mode: Start your computer in safe mode
If a problem doesn't reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes.
Perform a hardware clean boot to determine if any hardware is posing this problem.
1. Go to start and type device manager.
2. Select device manager from the Control Panel list.
3. Right Click on Sound Card, Video Adapter, and Network Adapter one by one and click disable.
4. Reboot the computer. If the problem is fixed then you can enable the hardware devices one by one to find the exact device that caused the problem.
After you found the device that is causing the problem, installing the device’s latest driver should fix it unless it’s a hardware issue.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/eef96107-8e4d-42cf-b7d9-3188e9ffd797
Hopefully you fix Windows 7 Shut Down Issues.

Ask a Question