Windows 7 Versions

Reaction score
Why do we need so many versions of windows 7 couldn't Microsoft kept two versions
Home & Proffesional as they had for XP. Instead of Home Basic, Enterprise and Ultimate?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Why do we need so many versions of windows 7 couldn't Microsoft kept two versions
Home & Proffesional as they had for XP. Instead of Home Basic, Enterprise and Ultimate?

Because that's the way M$ wanted to market their software.

Generally, 6 editions of Windows 7 will be made available:

• Windows 7 Starter (only available on pre-installed OEM channel worldwide but limited to new PCs limited to specific types of hardware)
  • Windows 7 Home Basic (only available in emerging markets)
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Enterprise (only on Software Assurance or Volume Licensing channel)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
The brief description of various editions of Windows 7 is listed below.

Windows 7 Starter

Availability: Worldwide, OEM channel, for new PCs limited to specific types of hardware only (netbook)
Key Features: Enhanced Taskbar, Jump Lists, Windows Media Player, Backup and Restore, Action Center, Device Stage, Play To, Fax and Scan, basic games
Limitations: Missing Aero Glass, many Aero desktop enhancements, Windows Touch, Windows Media Center, live thumbnail previews, Windows 7 Mobility Center, Home Group creation features, and can run only three applications at once.

Windows 7 Home Basic

Availability: Emerging market, OEM channel only
Key Features: All features of Windows 7 Starter in addition to advanced networking feature, live thumbnail previews, and Windows Mobility Center.
Limitations: Missing Aero Glass, many Aero desktop enhancements, Aero windows navigation, Windows Touch, Windows Media Center and Home Group creation features.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Availability: Mainstream Windows 7 SKU, worldwide release and available for both OEM and retail channels
Key Features: Aero Glass, Aero Background, Windows Touch, Home Group creation, Media Center, DVD playback and authoring, premium games, in addition to all features of Windows 7 Home Basic.
Limitations: Missing Domain join, Remote Desktop host, advanced backup, EFS, and Offline Folders features

Windows 7 Professional

Availability: Mainly for small businesses, worldwide release, and available in OEM, retail and volume licensing (VL) channels
Key Features: Domain join, Remote Desktop host, location aware printing, EFS, Presentation Mode, Offline Folders, Windows Media Center beside inclusive of all features and functionalities from Windows 7 Home Premium
Limitations: Missing BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs and boot from VHD abilities or features

Windows 7 Enterprise

Availability: Software Assurance or Volume-License enterprise business customers only
Key Features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs and boot from VHD – basically, all features of Windows 7.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Market: Retail channel or upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional UI
Key Features: BitLocker, BitLocker To Go, AppLocker, Direct Access, Branche Cache, MUI language packs and boot from VHD – basically, all features of Windows 7.

SOURCE

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Possibly it is an attempt to reach the many places in which Windows is sold. In many of these emerging markets, for example, Microsoft needs to have lower-priced offers. Beta testers were very much responsible, through suggestions for the severely limited Windows 7 Starter and the bare bones, but (almost) full-featured home basic version.
I think Starter is an extremely good idea for a netbook. It puts the new Microsoft OS right in the middle of the consumer market, although, even as I write, more expensive netbooks are being released that can use the higher editions.But I think Home Basic was unnecessary. It seems to be only a market ploy for a litle more cash. If they removed a couple of restrictions from Starter, it would effectively be the basic version.

I voiced my opinion (not listened too) that this was one of the major reasons for bad publicity and almost susbsequent downfall, of Vista. The retail market was flooded with OEMs of the lowest edition. New users were disappointed to a degree, and let the reading and listening public know! Microsoft could shoot themselves in the foot by applying the same marketing strategy with 7.
One worthwhile improvement came from criticism of Vista. In the Vista packages there were features in, for example, Home Premium that weren't in the more expensive Vista Business edition. With Windows 7, each higher-priced version is a little superior to the preceeding versions.
Microsoft has also made it a little easier to move from one version to another. With Vista, a special upgrade disk was needed. Windows 7, in all its versions, come as a single image. All the features are on a single DVD, (or two if you include the 64Bit releases) only needing an upgrade product key.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Windows 7, in all its versions, come as a single image. All the features are on a single DVD, (or two if you include the 64Bit releases) only needing an upgrade product key.
How true! A person can use PowerISO to "OPEN" the ISO image, once copied to a hard drive, go to the "sources" folder and delete the "ei.cfg" file. Then "SAVE" to the ISO image using PowerISO.

When burned to a DVD, upon install, all 5 versions appear in the x86 install window and 4 versions appear in the x64 install window. You just use the mouse cursor to highlight and click the version you want to install then. Of course, one still needs the correct legitimate product key of the install they choose.

Reaction score
Windows should be sold on a USB Stick and have all the versions on it for the price for one. then as you install you can choose which one to install and if you want something else, use the USB stick again to install a higher version. and store the Stick away. This is much more easy and would be a better way of selling windows.

I don't think Microsoft think very well.

Windows today is well overpriced for what it sould be and what it was years ago. It's Just M$ Making a few more extra bucks ($) as they go.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You are under no obligation to purchase a Microsoft OS, or move on from XP. If you object to the price, stay with what you have.
I will not comment on whether the product is, or has ever been overpiced but, a complicate calculation, given the extraordinay depreciation factor of finance, and dramatic increases in salaries in many areas and countries around the world, the real price of Windows 7 is actually less than Vista, and possibly even of XP.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You are under no obligation to purchase a Microsoft OS, or move on from XP. If you object to the price, stay with what you have.
I will not comment on whether the product is, or has ever been overpiced but, a complicate calculation, given the extraordinay depreciation factor of finance, and dramatic increases in salaries in many areas and countries around the world, the real price of Windows 7 is actually less than Vista, and possibly even of XP.

davehc: You are correct! I bought an OEM version of XP Pro back in 2002 for $120 USD. In 2010 dollars that would be about $160 USD.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc: You are correct! I bought an OEM version of XP Pro back in 2002 for $120 USD. In 2010 dollars that would be about $160 USD.
You both are correct! Windows XP Pro (the full, legal version) sells upwards of $200 as I'm typing. OEM is $80 to $140. It has held it's value well.

Reaction score
All was saying is microsoft has added a few new things but microsoft sould do it any way for nothing. Windows XP Pro $165 and Windows 7 Pro $449 what's the difference, a lot and Why do we have to pay $35 extra for Win 7 Ultimate only difference from Pro is bitlocker which could be included in Pro and extra languages that should be standard in all OS's.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Because it is human nature to get the best, the latest, the greatest. Particularly with the male of the species. The more options available, the time is spent pondering them.

Not too many users really need the Ultimate version, but there are those who get it because it IS the Ultimate Version! Its mostly men who buy it and want it. (Its like who's Johnson is bigger,)

If you ever study marketing you'll understand why things are done that way.

Ask a Question