Windows 7 start up - blank screen

Reaction score
I didn't think my PC had a problem, I just wished to start it in Safe Mode to do a thorough virus scan.
I could not do so using F8, and when looking at forums to find out why, I see there is a small window of opportunity before the windows logo starts for you to use F8 - unfortunately, for some reason my screen is completely blank until the Windows 7 blue screen appears with the dove, and then my log-in. I don't get anything else before that, nothing loading, nada. But it starts fine.
I remember when I installed Windows 7 (legal copy) that I DID have the normal 'windows starting' and logo - I don't know why it is not showing now! This seems to be my problem starting in Safe Mode, it is difficult to judge the window of opportunity when your screen is blank. Apparently you can use msconfig to reboot in safe mode, but some forums advise against this because malware can use this to keep you in a loop that cannot start..... I am worried now that I have a malware that's stopping me from entering safe mode....

Any advice from the more knowledgeable ? Sorry to babble on, I suppose I need to know why I am not getting the windows logo starting (is it an indicatino of a problem)and is it safe to use msconfig in this case, to boot it in safe mode. Thanks.

Reaction score
Just keep on pressing F8 continuously while powering on the machine until the boot choice screen appears.

Reaction score
Hi, I did continuously press F8, but it just stops completely when I do that and I have to use ALT/CTRL/DEL and it automatically restarts. I spent about 20mins trying the F8 button continuously at different intervals as it re-started....... if too soon - freezes as above, if too late - Windows starts normally!

Reaction score
others to try F12 or another Function key ?
Press the key after you see the first logo screen or when it displays Press 'Del' to access the BIOS Setup.

or maybe try pressing Reset button when Windows is loading - should then re-boot and load into Safe mode and display a message about Windows didn't load correctly ?

Ask a Question