Windows 7 Router---what should I get?

Reaction score
there are so many routers out there, it has me majorly confused. I have a Netgear WPN824 that is not compatible with Win7.
I need to know what router I should be buying for my wireless network. I have a desktop computer, netbook, gaming computer, wireless printer, scanner and need something that won't drop out like the router I'm using now. I have to constantly restart the router. Please help!

Thanks

ThePianoman

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use the Netgear WNR2000 wireless router and it rocks!

It lists for anywhere from $59 - 79 on the web. I got mine at eBay, brand new but no packaging for $28 w/shipping.

It's wireless N and we have two desktops connected via ethernet cable, one Epson Workforce 610 AIO printer/scanner w/WiFi and three hooked up by wireless N @ 300 Mbps. Four of the computers are Windows 7 and one is XP Pro.

It has 5 internal antennas and the latest firmware update installed and is working flawlessly. I highly recommend it. It's been rock solid and stays fairly cool also.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Look for b/g/n (if it doesn't have n then it's an older model), MIMO, 300Mbps (150Mbps if you want to go a bit cheaper), WPA2-PSK encryption

Reaction score
Question

This is what I bought, what do you think?

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It should do what you want. I like the MIMO technology because the multiple antennas are supposed to give you a little better range but it should work fine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs, do you use it with the firmware from Netgear?

I'm thinking about getting one that I can flash with DD-WRT. It's supposed to make things a lot better as long as you don't brick it in the process.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, I used the latest Netgear firmware update that was available. It's still current because I just checked the router's status a few days ago.

I'm not familiar with DD-WRT but I did a google on it and found out my router is not supported by the DD-WRT firmware. I have a WNR2000 v1, I would need a v2 for it to work.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Wait! Sorry I did not see this thread earlier but there is no such thing as a router that is not compatible with Windows 7. Routers are simply network devices. If the network interface device in your computer is compatible with Windows 7, and it should be, then there is no reason, but malfunction or misconfiguration, that your computer will not communicate with the router.

Ask a Question