Windows 7 Professional does not boot the first time.

Reaction score
Any time I boot Windows 7 Professional on my laptop it does not start the first time.
I get only a blinking cursor on black screen.

I need to switch it off and re-boot it then it starts perfectly.

It does that all the times.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

Reaction score
Hi mirko77 - Welcome to w7forums

When you turn the PC off, is it Shut Down or put into Sleep / Hibernation mode?
This could be a sleep or hibernation issue, if its not waking up properly.

Reaction score
I shut it down. It happens only on a cold boot. It works properly form sleep or hibernation mode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The closest thing I found in a search suggested you should replace your CMOS battery. This is the little battery inside normally the size of a coin, not your regular laptop battery, and unfortunately can be quite difficult to reach.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On my notebook, there is a small cover, you remove the screw, the battery is there. One time, I removed it, and recall something about the BIOS or Hardware Time warning showing up upon rebooting. Everything was fine, after the OS loaded, I suppose that the time had to sync, as it was off, too.

The only reason that I removed it from the beginning was an attempt to remove the S.M.A.R.T. data from my HDD, figuring it would reset. But that didn't happen.

I guess as to where it's located depends on the OEM of the notebook. Dell used to keep things simple (most parts are easily accessed) for parts swapping, but I don't know about the newer ones. Being that it's a notebook, hopefully one can just open those small covers, one by one, and find the battery.

mirko77, welcome to the forum! I almost forgot my manners, sorry about that.

Should you require further assistance, post back. That battery shouldn't be that hard to find. As far the replacement cost, I cannot tell you, or even guess at it. Hopefully, there are batteries just like it that covers a wide variety of notebooks, and can be found easily at Radio Shack (a great place to find many batteries), or a similar retailer.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The battery itself would run under $5 in the USA but if you have to remove the keyboard or the plastic casing then paying someone to change it may cost a chunk of change for a techie; if your lucky it may be under the memory cards or something accessible from a door like Cat's.

Cat, That battery is strictly for the BIOS. Harddrives are self-contained units and power is from the PSU when turned on only. SMART data is not meant to allow changes from the outside, since their information includes things like usage time etc; if you could, it would be like turning back the odometer on a car.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I found that out, about it being for the BIOS. Does desktops have similar batteries? The reason that I ask, is if you unplugged one, or there were a power outage, and had no UPS (I do), how does it keep up with time? And your BIOS settings, such as enabled HAV?

With a notebook, you can remove both the PSU & battery, and not lose the time, thanks to this dime size battery.

Cat

Reaction score
Batteries on full sized Mobo/desktop work the same Cat. Loose the battery and you loose time settings, stuff like that. Bios I believe is safe, may default to factory settings, not 100% sure.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes there is one on a desktop mobo and you will loose clock if you disconnect it but since W7 connects to a time server it will reset once you replace it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe, if you are the same guy, you may have posted on other forums?
Just in case you do not refer back to any other posts, this was my contribution, fwiw.
"This is a shot in the dark, but it sounds like you have some harware that is loose, or worse, in the laptop. By worse, I would say there is the possibility of a faulty circuit inside the graphics chip which, after warming, "resits". On subsequent reboots I would guess your computer had no more problems?
If that is so, the remedy is (almost) unobtainable. To get such a chip repaired is sometimes not worth the expense on a laptop."

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As far as finding the battery goes, all one would have to do is either look up the computer in question on it's OEM site, there the battery location would be likely found.

Also, there are sites that show you how to dis (& re) assemble your given notebook. Key in the name of it (make & model), many popular ones have self help sites where the computer is taken apart in steps.

This was how I replaced the keyboard on my Dell notebook. I thought that it would be a big deal, because my hands tremble, and I have a time with small parts. But really, it was nothing to it. I used a plastic knife to remove that trim piece where the power button and volume/mute switch is, it popped right out (you must be gentle there),then after removing 2 screws, I lifted the keyboard, then disconnected the wire to it, and that was it. Less than 5 minutes. Luckily, I found a brand new keyboard for it on eBay for $12.

But that was when I really learned just how bad dust collects in a notebook. It was packed with it. Took nearly 2 cans of air to blow it out good. After reassembling it, the CPU temps dropped over 20C, from 90C to 70C (while folding). However, that was short lived. About 2 months later, it ran just as hot again. I was tempted to try out what a couple of members suggested, put some new thermal grease on the CPU & heatsink, but that involved a more than removing just a couple of screws.

And the age of the MOBO, with all of that heat, it has to be getting brittle, to some degree. I was scared that I'd crack something, then I'd have a heap of junk, as I'll never buy a MOBO for it. And it's still under warranty, so if it does go naturally, at least that would be a good chunk of cash to go with what I have, towards a new Toshiba quad core desktop replacement notebook. With all of the trimmings.

Cat

Ask a Question