Windows 7 Product Key

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 product key on a sticker stuck to the bottom of my laptop. However, HP have not provided me with the installation discs, only a way to backup my current OS in it's current state.

As I have purchased a Windows 7 license for this PC and have the original product key attached to the machine, am I free to use another Windows 7 disc to perform a clean installation should the situation arise at a later date? I would amuse so, as I would be using an activation key that I own?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 product key on a sticker stuck to the bottom of my laptop. However, HP have not provided me with the installation discs, only a way to backup my current OS in it's current state.

As I have purchased a Windows 7 license for this PC and have the original product key attached to the machine, am I free to use another Windows 7 disc to perform a clean installation should the situation arise at a later date? I would amuse so, as I would be using an activation key that I own?

Yes, you can download an ISO image file of the version of Windows 7 you have and then burn it to a DVD disc. Use ImgBurn, its free and also will verify the burn.

Burn between 4x and 12x speed to get an accurate write.

The key is good for either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version. BUT only ONE install per product key.

Go to this page of the website for download links: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

The x86 download is about 2.4GB and the x64 version is 3.0GB.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi sunnyside

You can use a retail product key on a Windows 7 DVD of the same version for which it is coded, (eg) you can use a friend's retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium to reinstall Windows on your computer as long as you use your unique retail Windows 7 Home Premium product key and only that one version can be activated at one time.

Reaction score
If you wish, you can contact HP and purchase an exact copy of the recovery disks for your computer model. I've bought HPs for several years and done the same thing. They don't cost much.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know when you bought your laptop, as you didn't say in your post, but most modern HP's allow you to make ONE set of recovery discs, should you need them. You click Start and type "create recovery discs", and the program that does this will appear with instructions. With HP, you will need at least three non-rewritable DVD's, and a hour to spare, as after the program burns each disc, it validates the written info to be sure that it's right. These discs return your computer to factory condition, should you need to. Also, to make it more simple, your image may be preloaded on a small recovery partition. This serves the same purpose, but without the discs. It works well, I've already done mine twice this way. Upon startup, press and hold F11, and you'll go into recovery mode. If your computer came with Windows 7, you should have the partition and the option to make these discs. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Thank you all!

Yes, I did get an option to make a single backup copy on a few DVDs, but this would include all of the HP junk that came with the laptop. I ideally wanted just the installation DVD so that I can make a clean install in the future.

I didn't know about the recovery partition, so that should be a helpful backup if I need it.

Thank you for your advice!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, I did get an option to make a single backup copy on a few DVDs, but this would include all of the HP junk that came with the laptop. I ideally wanted just the installation DVD so that I can make a clean install in the future.
A very wise decision on your part! You certainly don't want all the crapware that HP includes on those "recovery discs" that's for sure.

Stay away from recovery partitions, they're really not that useful in my opinion. I would use Acronis True Image and do a backup on an external hard drive. It is VERY good software for this purpose.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thank you all!

I didn't know about the recovery partition, so that should be a helpful backup if I need it.

Thank you for your advice!
True, the "crapware" will be there, but you can get rid of it, if you want to. Revo Uninstaller has a junk file cleaner, and it gets rid of a lot of the junk. Also, should you want to sell it, these discs and recovery partition would be of value to the prospective buyer. Smart buyers want the computer to have all options still there, and it would be worth more. I'm glad I have mine, as I can make my PC "factory new" any time I wish. Over time, your computer gets bogged down with junk files, and this option gets rid of them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A very wise decision on your part! You certainly don't want all the crapware that HP includes on those "recovery discs" that's for sure.

Stay away from recovery partitions, they're really not that useful in my opinion. I would use Acronis True Image and do a backup on an external hard drive. It is VERY good software for this purpose.
While I agree with you on your suggestions to an extent, I strongly recommend not to delete the recovery partition. As I stated in the above post, the computer will be worth more should it's resold. I love my recovery partition because it makes it "factory new" again, at least as far as the OS goes.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
He wants to do a clean install. He does not want to use the HP recovery disks which make the recovery partition.

Whether or not the computer has a recovery partition does not affect the price of the computer.

Reaction score
Whether or not the computer has a recovery partition does not affect the price of the computer.
This depends on who is placing value on the recovery partition. I know people that will not even look at the computer unless it has a recovery partition. This would suggest some value.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This depends on who is placing value on the recovery partition. I know people that will not even look at the computer unless it has a recovery partition. This would suggest some value.
Agreed 100%! If it is a computer with Windows 7, and I was considering buying it, not having that partition would turn me away, especially if it was OEM from the factory. That's not hard to lookup.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
This is my humble opinion:

Recovery partitions are for those who basically have no computer knowledge or skills. The reason the computer makers started putting recovery partitions on the systems was because people would lose the install disk or call support every time they screwed something up.

The recovery partition is superfluous. If you build your own system, Windows 7 doesn't install one, does it? No it doesn't. If you're smart enough to build and install a system then one does not need a recovery partition.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is my humble opinion:

Recovery partitions are for those who basically have no computer knowledge or skills. The reason the computer makers started putting recovery partitions on the systems was because people would lose the install disk or call support every time they screwed something up.

The recovery partition is superfluous. If you build your own system, Windows 7 doesn't install one, does it? No it doesn't. If you're smart enough to build and install a system then one does not need a recovery partition.
I don't disagree with you on this at all, but the fact is, most people expect a recently built computer to come the way it did to the first owner. Among other things, that includes a recovery partition. Actually, I don't know how long they have been included with the system. Must have began with Vista, I never seen one on XP. But it was a brilliant idea. Just as a reinstall disc, you don't have to enter the OS serial number. Should your DVD player go down, you can still start over. I have both, my recovery discs and recovery partition. But Nibiru, I want to ask you something. Those backup discs from Digital River. Can you reinstall, using your serial that came with the computer, and format everything, so the "crapware" isn't there at all? One other thing: Did it occur to you that the PC makers can now hire minimum wage workers and they automatically tell the customer to press F11 at startup, in order to save THEM millions of dollars in wages?

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I don't know how long they have been included with the system. Must have began with Vista, I never seen one on XP
HP were making hidden partitions in 1995 Cat.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
HP were making hidden partitions in 1995 Cat.
I've heard of hidden partitions before, but didn't know their purpose. Is that why even though you have a 100GB hard drive, only 93GB is usable? Is that the partition that when you insert your reinstall disc and boot, you don't have to enter a serial to complete the install? If so, I've done that over a hundred times. And if that's so, how do you access the partition yourself?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
The hidden partition could be accessed with the system disks, and in some cases the Motherboard, HDD was tattooed with a code by HP.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
But Nibiru, I want to ask you something. Those backup discs from Digital River. Can you reinstall, using your serial that came with the computer, and format everything, so the "crapware" isn't there at all?
Yes, you can.

One other thing: Did it occur to you that the PC makers can now hire minimum wage workers and they automatically tell the customer to press F11 at startup, in order to save THEM millions of dollars in wages?
Yes, that's true also. This is designed to appeal to the broadest, lowest common denominator. :)

Ask a Question