Windows 7 only £30 for UK Students

Reaction score
Cheers. I was gonna to a clean install anyway, so that's fine. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Done it!
However...
The "order confirmed" says I need to save it to my desktop and install from there, but I'll be installing it on the current Win7 drive.

I know says there is an option for custom install, so can I save it to my XP desktop, go into XP, format current drive, and install onto this drive (Win7) from there? (And why does it not need burning to a disk?)

Reaction score
Make it into a bootable .iso and burn it to dvd - you may need to keep it safe.

The bootable image file is inside the windows files - inside the Boot folder - it is called etfsboot.com.

View attachment oscdimg.zip

oscdimg.exe –l<Disc_Label> -m -u2 –b<path_of_bootable_img_file> <path_of_installation_source> <path_and_filename_to_be_created>.iso

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a bit slow!
So do I burn the oscdimg file as an ISO, and what does all that writing for the file name mean?
And I haven't got the files yet. I was gonna burn the files on their own to a disc as backup.

Reaction score
You need to make a bootable .iso out of the windows files.

The oscdimg.exe is a program that does it.

Put it in C:\Windows\System32

You need to run it from the command prompt, so type cmd in start search, when it pops up, rt click and run as admin.

It will start with prompt already at

C:\Windows\system32>(type the command in here - all in one line - then press enter)

If you put the windows files directly on C: as well, it make the commands easier.

I don't know what the folder containing the win 7 install files will be called - perhaps GBCU...and lots more letters.

To make it easier - you don't need a label.

C:\Windows\system32>oscdimg.exe -m -u2 –bC:\GBCU...\Boot\etfsboot.com C:\GBCU... C:\Win7.iso

Press Enter and off it goes. You will then see Win7.iso on your C drive. Burn it as an image to a dvd.

You can boot it like any installation dvd.

If you just burn the files to dvd - without making a bootable.iso - it won't boot.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe the download will already be an .iso file. Just about any DVD burning program can then burn this image to a disc for booting. If you need one, I would suggest ImgBurn.

Reaction score
I have heard others say they have been instructed to install from the desktop - if so, it can't be an .iso.

It seems MS are discouraging people from having a bootable copy on this student deal. Lord knows why.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I was ordering, there was an option for a CD kit. Presumably MS are just trying to milk the money out of it. I used ImgBrn to make the disc for the RC.

SIW2: I get the command up to the point of where eftsboot.com is stored, but what is the next GBCU bit?

Reaction score
That is just the name of the folder for Win 7 installation files - might be called something else - may just Windows 7 on it for all I know.

oscdimg.exe -m -u2 –bC:\NameOf_7_InstallationFilesFolder\Boot\etfsboot.com C:\NameOf_7_InstallationFilesFolder C:\Win7.iso

oscdimg.exe -m -u2 –b<path_of_bootable_img_file> <path_of_installation_files_source> <path_and_filename_to_be_created>.iso

Last edited:
Reaction score
cmon cmon cmon cmon 2 days left till its available!!!

Reaction score
Well would you look at that.
The downloaded W7 is 3 seperate files:
"setup1.box
setup2.box
W7xxxx.exe"

how inconvenient.

Reaction score
Have you downloaded it ?

Please post screenshots.

I can show you how to make bootable .iso's - it's easy.

Reaction score
Try running the .exe - it should extract the .box files and you will get something like this: though it may be inside another folder called 7 or similar.

WINDOWS SETUP FILES2009-10-22_044604.jpg

Reaction score
I just succesfully created the .iso for someone else - pretty easy.

Reaction score

I would naturally assume that despite actually creating said folder mentioned above, it hasnt done it properly.

Oh, and clearly I havent touched the properties on the .box files to make them read-only.

(also note, haha, without having 100% backed up everything I hadnt bothered to touch the W7 files yet)

Edit: Dont do this on your desktop kids!
Anyway, changed my desktop properties to...NOT read-only, am extracting again. Small note: Running the extractor makes firefox lag like hell, but checking its cpu/mem usage, its not really doing that much.
------

Ok, Ive put it in a folder n unchecked read-only, still fails. Am gunna download the .box files again.
-------

2nd attempt failed.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Well would you look at that.
The downloaded W7 is 3 seperate files:
"setup1.box
setup2.box
W7xxxx.exe"

how inconvenient.
Once you run the exe it extracts the boxes to a folder within the specified location. Make sure it's set to extract to a valid location?

Mine worked fine at any rate, extracted right to the desktop.

I just succesfully created the .iso for someone else - pretty easy.
Any special steps needed, or was it ready to go? I have to many projects that take priority to install Windows 7 just yet, so I've not gotten beyond the initial extraction. It looked ready to go to an .iso though...

Reaction score

Ask a Question