Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Last June, i upgraded my system to Windows 7 from Windows Vista. After upgrading, I started getting these irrecoverable freezes on my system in which everything would lock up and the only thing to do was to reset. Sometimes it will happen while simply using my internet browser, but other times it will occur (much more often) when playing games like Bad Company 2, which is high end, but my computer can handle it on ultra settings whenever i was running Vista. I have already ran CCleaner and checked under Admin tools for errors. I also recently updated my MOBO and Video drivers and still getting the same issues. I never had any issues with this hardware on Vista, but started the DAY OF when i got Windows 7 installed

My specs are as follows.

MOBO: MB EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 775 750I SLI
RAM : MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R
Video: VGA ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 RTL
Processor: CPU INTEL|C2Q Q9400 2.66G 775 45N R

I dont remember the exact specs on my Power supply, but I'm fairly certain its an 850 Watt Supply

I've done some forum browsing but just seemed overwhelmed by the variety of crash issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
8 gb of ram. I think my problem was overheating, i cleaned out my case as it was covered in quite a thick layer of dust and haven't had any freezing issues since.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Danman413, welcome to the forum! That dust can really cause problems, I've been there too. When I replaced the keyboard on my Dell notebook, once it was removed, I was amazed that it didn't catch on fire (it did burn my leg). The dust was packed so bad that my hard drive was continually running hot, which is probably why it's rattling now. Took almost 2 cans of air to clean it good.

Glad to see you caught it in time. I can't give a steadfast rule as to the timing of cleaning, but if you have to dust your home often, or see it around your computer all of the time, a yearly cleaning would be OK. Quality A/C filters helps, too. Cheap store/private label brands of filters doesn't catch the dust as good as the good ones. The ones that costs $5 or more each are far better than those that comes in a pack of 4 for $2. Plus, you're breathing cleaner air.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just on the matter of cleaning I found this great kit which has hoses and brushes designed to fit your domestic vacumm but with bleed vents to vastly reduce the suction power. The other end is small and designed for cleaning electronic gear.
Also those pressure packs of air are good to shift stuff away from components.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Our vaccum cleaner (a Kirby, bought in '98) has similar attachments, that has very narrow, small tips that's great for cleaning keyboards, I also go around the open grooves with it. Probably every couple of months or so.

It's probably getting time for me to remove the cover & blow this one good. I have to dust this desk weekly, even using the more costly air filters. But with the ones that my landlord provided, it was twice a week.

One other important thing to note, electronics of any kind is a magnet to dust. I've fried stereo amps, one I took apart, it was fully coated with sticky, gooey dust (probably some nicotine mixed with it). You couldn't even see the board for it. That probably led to it's death, more than my cranking it up a lot. High powered equipment is (or should be) built to run as such, otherwise, why build it?

Cleaning is often taken for granted, I've been guilty myself, but it's a necessary maintenance step that must be taken to ensure the long life of your computer (and other costly electronics). Also, they'll be more energy efficient, as it'll run cooler.

Cat

Reaction score
I've often wondered if there is any sort of anti-static spray that's safe for components. Sort of like the stuff women spray on their stockings.
While my case is empty when I have to gut it to put in the new MoBo, I'm going to give it a complete wipe out inside and mabye try to find some anti-static spray to put on the insides before the hardware goes back in.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That would be a great idea, if there's such a product made. I didn't even know about the stuff that women spray on their stockings.

It seems that static would play a part in electronics collecting dust (your monitor, for example), but I'm not an expert enough to know how it all plays out.

But I'm going to do some searching to see if such a product exists, if I find one, I'll post back with it.

Cat

Reaction score
I see on that site that the anti-static spray has been deleted.
A thing you can safely use on plastics and stuff ( I used it on my helmet visor, iphone, pc monitor,perspex windscreens) is PLEXUS. Have not got a web site for it.

Reaction score
I usually get it from auto accessory shops. Or Aviation pilot supplies.

Reaction score
Well i didn't have any freezing issues for about 3 days. Now suddenly today, I got a different type of freeze in which I would still get audio for a few seconds but the mouse cursor was frozen and then the screen would turn a light shade of green before i just have to mash the restart button and sigh.

Could it be possible that my graphics card is simply dying?

My system is a couple of years old and I've been wanting to build a new one both for high end gaming, and simply for the enjoyment of building a machine myself again for the second time.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sometimes your system might lack sufficient hard disk space which then results in frequent system freezes. In most of such cases, cookies, temp files and folders occupy a lot of the memory space on your system. In such cases, you must use Disk Cleanup to delete such unwanted files and data from your system and free up the disk space. This will not just remove unwanted information from your hard disk, but will also allow you to compress your Recycle Bin and old files. get more information and help.......... http://social.technet.microsoft.com...bbb6fd4/#cb36bb28-cc7c-412c-82b5-7a55f054fc30

Hope this helps you.

Ask a Question