Windows 7 freezes after installation

Reaction score
hello,

I installed win 7 RTM build 7600, the install process finished without any problems.

but after first reboot, the OS doesn't work, i see the main screen , but when i click on some icon, or press start etc... the system freeze for 10 min (aprox...)
after that the operation preformed, and the when i click on anothrer icon (do another operation) it freeze again...

any idea, what can it be ?

--------

Pentium D4 945 3.4 GHZ
board: MSI 7173
RAM: 2 GB
GPU: nvidia 7300 GS 256 MB
HD: 160 GB

many thanx

p.s
XP SP2/ubuntu are works fine on that system...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it do the same thing in safe mode?

I'd try another clean install and see if it does the same thing again.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting that it works in safe mode... and this is a totally clean install?

Try updating all your drivers when you are in safe mode, especially anything to do with your chipset and SATA/RAID. Then once that is done restart and see if it has improved things.

Reaction score
i tried to update nvidia drivers (in safe mode) but the installation is failed
what can update in sata ?

Reaction score
but y ATI driver,
ei use nvidia gpu, and not the on board video card

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If your motherboard is indeed the RC410M then it uses an ATI motherboard chipset for the motherboard (not the graphics card).

In safe mode, do any hardware devices show up as not having a driver installed when you view device manager?

Reaction score
so u suggest to install this driver in safe mode ? or in normal mode ?

i've tried to install ati system drivers (in safe mode), but the installetion fails due to "Failed to load detection driver"

i did installed nvidia driver, but it didnt help much, the problem still present... :(

any help please

Last edited:
Reaction score
FIXED .. finally .. after days of reading forums and visits to Best Buy to upgrade hardware... this solution costs nothing so hopefully it will work for you.

#0 .. Before doing anything else make sure your drivers are all up to date. I tried this solution first and it didn't help at all but it may help some folks and its a good thing to do anyway.

I found that most of my problems occurred when using P2P applications such as Bittorrent and Limewire. Changing these programs to run as Administrator and also run with Windows Vista Compatibility GREATLY reduced the amount of freezes.

No freezes since finding and making this change.
Power options. Apparently the default setting in Windows 7 wasn't providing enough power for my system to opperate properly, such as when running P2P applications, even Firefox at times. Solution is simple.. Search for "Power Options" from the Start Menu search. You will likely see that your current power option is "Balanced". Balanced is great if you like your system to freeze all the time. Change it to "High performance". Note that you may need to click "Show Additional plans" to see this option.

I hope this helps someone. This seems to have fixed my Windows 7 problems. Also, since I found the Power options solution last it is possible that this solution will work in and of itself so you might just try it first.

I have YET to have a single freeze since changing my Power options. Before implementing #2 I was freezing every 20 - 30 minutes or so. Before #1 it was within minutes of running my usual apps. Ultimately I think that the Power Options is probably the TRUE solution.

Ask a Question