windows 7 for 1 user question.

Reaction score
ok i preordered my w7 home edition however i only just realize it is only tied down to 1 user/pc. say if i buy new hard drive for whatever the reason, would i need to buy a new windows 7 os? is this a new thing? since i never ever came across 1os for 1 pc only ever. if so i might have to cancel my preorder.

Reaction score
if they one you ordered is OEM it will be locked to 1 computers hardware OEM is normaly locked to the motherboard so u can still easly change to another hard drive , graphics cards etc but if you ever change the motherboard you may have problems . on the other hand if its full retail you have ordered you can install it on one computer then if u get a new compter etc you can move the OS to ur new computer aslong as u uninstall it from the old one.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Widows 7 would install on a new HDD on the same PC OK :)

Reaction score
You cannot reinstall an OEM license to a computer with a different motherboard, but you can move a retail license to any computer so long as it's only installed on one PC. If you want Windows on more than one PC, you must buy more than one license.

Reaction score
I changed my processor on XP and I demanded I re-actived Windows. You just ring up a hot-line, quote the numbers on the little stickers on your case and voila.
I don't know if you could do the same with a MOBO, 'cause you could always just move the hard drive over. (What's an OEM? Is it the TechNet and MSDN version?)

Ask a Question