Windows 7, Excel 2007

Reaction score
I have "MS Office 2007" in Windows 7 and Windows Vista operating systems.
I am trying to open an excel file using Visual Basic.
When I open the Excel file using Vista, no problem but when using Windows 7 i get the error:

"Excel found unreadable content in "xyz.xls".Do you want to recover the contents of the workbook.If you trust the source of this workbook

Please help me in resolving this problem.

Thanks,
Robbie K.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hotbuller on another site proposed this possible Solution: Change Regional Setting to English (US) and create a new (empty) file. Save it and copy all Sheets, UserForms and Modules from original file to new (regional setting English) file - and wham - problem is gone. So no need to repair file, bacause nothing is wrong with it, just some internal regional settings in file prevent it from opening correctly. The more technical reason for this is the way the file inherits certain settings and unicode stuff.
...his specific issue was related to a spreadsheet from another country but if you can copy and paste and recreate the worksheet it might be worth a try as it might correct your settings mentioned in the MS article.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Another site mentions the file may be set to read-only and you need to right-click, choose properties, uncheck read-only and then try to open it.

Reaction score

I don't use pivot tables so that isn't the problem and regional settings isn't either.
Any other ideas? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I still think it is worth a try to create a fresh spreadsheet and copy and paste everything into the new spreadsheet.

Also did you make sure the file wasn't read-only?

Reaction score
Yes, i tried selecting worksheet and copying to another and same problem. And no, it is not read only. Thanks. Don't know what the problem is. Thought maybe it was a formula or something but it has no formulas just numbers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have W7 Professional or better, try installing Virtual PC - XP mode, install excel there, and see if MS excel opens it in Virtual XP.

Reaction score
When I open the Excel file using Vista, no problem but when using Windows 7 i get the error:

"Excel found unreadable content in "xyz.xls".Do you want to recover the contents of the workbook.If you trust the source of this workbook.
Open the Excel file while booted up in Vista. Copy & paste the contents into a new workbook. Save & close in the default format *.xlsx.

Boot into Windows 7 and see if it opens without the error message. If so, then do a "Save as" and save it in the 2003 version (*.xls).

Ask a Question