Windows 7 BSOD on First Boot Up

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently built a new computer, and it seems that every time that I boot up after the computer being off for a while, it Blue Screens. Then while rebooting, if I hold the power button and turn it back on, it works great all day.

I've ran the Windows memory test on normal and extended (I think those are the options) and haven't gotten any errors. I've also ran all 4 of the tests from Seagate on my HD and none of them showed errors. I've updated my drivers, attempted to uninstall programs that I thought could be causing errors (AVG, Curse Client, Ideazon Board Engine), but it didn't resolve anything. I've also ran a CHKDSK and no errors were found as well. I've reinstalled Windows 7 twice, thinking that it was a bad build. Last night, I tried re-updating my Chipset and that didn't work. I replaced the SATA cable going to my HD this morning, but cannot test until I get home from work.

I hope that someone can assist me in this. I've attached my .zip file of all of my BSOD's. There are some driver ones in there when I was attempting to track down the problem using verifier.exe. Also I'm attaching a DXDIAG if that helps at all.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz Quad Core
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3
RAM: G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 PC3 12800
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX260
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm Sata

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Uninstall ASUS utilities from the machine which only cause problems ever. This includes your TurboV program. Get rid of it as it is causing issues.

Uninstall LogMeIn as the drivers are too old and causing corruption:

Alpham264 Alpham264.sys Tue Mar 20 05:51:03 2007
Alpham164 Alpham164.sys Mon Jul 23 03:57:03 2007

---------

Update your VIA audio driver from here:

viahduaa viahduaa.sys Thu May 07 23:24:59 2009

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

----------

Update your Atheros lan driver from ASUS' page for your motherboard:

L1E62x64 L1E62x64.sys Sun Aug 23 01:08:09 2009

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=cf8IZzbU4m6GHKnW

------

Check C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers after uninstalling all the ASUS utilities above. If this driver is still there, delete it then reboot:

AsIO AsIO.sys Mon Dec 17 04:11:49 2007

----------

Enjoy. Let me know if you need any further help.

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I will try those once I get home and post my results.

Reaction score
Cool, yeah...if you don't have LogMeIn installed and those two drivers were from Ideazon instead, delete them from C:\Windows\System32\drivers and reboot instead.

The machine will be fine if you follow it all well.

Reaction score
Ok I did the following steps last night.

Uninstalled Asus EPU and TurboV
Uninstalled Ideazon Engine
Updated Lan Drivers
Had to go delete the drivers for Ideazon and the Asus driver.

I also downloaded and updated the VIA audio drivers from my mobo's site and it still blue screened. I noticed that the ones on my mobo's site were the same date as you showed. So I went directly to VIA's site (which I should've done in the first place) and downloaded the latest version. I'll have to wait until tonight again to test so it sits for a bit.

I'm attaching this morning's BSOD in case there's something else wrong...as well as the DXDiag that I did after updating everything (even after correctly updating the VIA drivers...hopefully).

Attachments

Reaction score
Uninstall AVG in safe mode with the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Then reboot to normal mode and install MSE to replace, which never causes bsod under any circumstances.

-----

Right, the VIA driver needs to be updated too still, from VIA's site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok I got the AVG uninstalled using the tool and MSE installed.

Now you're saying that the VIA driver still needs to be updated? DXDiag showed it at Aug 2010. Am I not reading the right place?

Reaction score
Perhaps you've updated the VIA after the last crash you posted. Could be alright now...we'll see.

Reaction score
Yeah I updated the VIA drivers last night from ASUS' site for my mobo. Then after the crash this morning, I ran a DXDiag and saw that it was the same date that you posted. I updated them this morning and ran a new DXDiag and attached it. We'll see when I get home if that helps.

Reaction score
Ok...I uninstalled AVG and installed MSE. I verified that the VIA driver was updated. I still got a BSOD when I got home. I did notice that there were a couple of ASUS programs hiding, so I uninstalled...but won't be able to test until the morning. Here's the latest minidump and DXDiag.

Attachments

Reaction score
You could update your video card driver, but that's not causing the issues:

nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Sat Apr 03 20:06:21 2010

NVIDIA

All your drivers are fine, so that means there is either bad RAM (likely) or a bad RAM slot on the motherboard (less likely).

Test the memory with Memtest86+ overnight. If it shows any errors, replace the RAM. Test them individually if needed, in different slots.

Reaction score
Ok so I booted up this morning and got a BSOD...but the file was different. It was referencing dsgmms1.sys. Reading http://nzgeek.org/blog/dxgmms1-sys-crash-blue-screen-of-death/ it mentioned nVidia drivers being a possible cause. A couple people mention their Video Card being replaced fixed the issue.

What do you think? Should I go ahead and do the Memtest and check that first? Kinda unsure about running the test over 3 nights (not that I won't...just don't want to wait that long. lol).

Edit: Now could it be that I have DirectX11 installed, and my nVidia card only supports Direct X 10?

Edit2: I updated my nVidia drivers. Now the date is 7/9/2010.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely have some bad RAM.

This is a 0x3b error which normally, can only be caused by like 2008 or early 2009 video drivers or bad antivirus.

Definitely neither apply to you since you already have April 2010 video driver and MSE. Definitely, neither would cause this crash. The only other possibility for this type of memory corruption is from another outdated driver of which you don't have any, any longer.

So go ahead and update that video driver to latest but in the end, you're going to have to replace the RAM to stop the bsods.

If you haven't tested the modules one at a time for extended periods, while others are removed...and tested in all motherboard slots....then now is a good time for that.

Reaction score
It is also worth mentioning that you should download and run CPU-Z to find out which exact modules you have. Then look on the manufacturer's site for proper voltage (VDIMM) and timings. Then set the motherboard bios settings using these values. Save.

Sometimes, the spd default values of the memory are not applied correctly. You may need to do the above to raise the voltage or whatnot, if the manufacturer's site says it needs a value higher than standard.

Reaction score
Yeah I did run CPU-Z and it's running them at 9-9-9-24, which is what the manufacture setting says. Should I still manually set them in the BIOS if that's the case?

Also, I just took a look at how long I have to RMA the memory, and I only have a couple days...so thinking of just running down to the local computer store and picking up new RAM as long as I can return it if it doesn't fix my BSOD. At least at that point we'd know if it was RAM or mobo.

Reaction score
Well, what is the voltage necessary that you've found? If this is DDR3 and it is anything other than 1.5v, set the bios to the manufacturer's value instead.

Reaction score
Oh yeah, then you really do have faulty module(s). I see all of your drivers and none of them are a problem.

That leaves one and only one possibility here. (or bad motherboard slot but this is so rare.)

RMA the memory before time runs out.

Reaction score
Ok I'll run down to the computer shop and pick up new memory. I'll let you know how that goes.

Ask a Question