Windows 7 Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Help!, I try installing Windows 7 but when the installation is at it's last step, my computer restarts after a ten minute black screen and the shows a black screen with a cursor after the Windows 7 starting logo.

I have a HP Compaq dc7100 CMT, I ran Windows compatibility test and it said i could run it, but I can only see a black screen.

My Specifications:
Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.8 Ghz
2 GB DDR Ram
160 GB Hard drive
Nvidia 9500 GT 1GB

Please tell me what to do?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How many times have you run the installation? If you have not tried at least twice then please try installing again. Was this an upgrade or a fresh install on a reformatted hard drive?

By the way, by today's standards that is an extremely small hard drive and you may find it will fill up quite quickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How many times have you run the installation? If you have not tried at least twice then please try installing again. Was this an upgrade or a fresh install on a reformatted hard drive?

By the way, by today's standards that is an extremely small hard drive and you may find it will fill up quite quickly.
I have tried installing 5 times, two upgrades and three fresh installations.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you format the hard drive prior to the fresh install? How much free space is on the hard drive? Are you trying to install 32-bit or 64-bit? Where did you get the Installation DVD (was it downloaded or is it an actual Microsoft DVD?

Reaction score
Did you format the hard drive prior to the fresh install? How much free space is on the hard drive? Are you trying to install 32-bit or 64-bit? Where did you get the Installation DVD (was it downloaded or is it an actual Microsoft DVD?
I formatted it when I had the option in the installation. I formatted my hard drive completely so now I have full 160GB in my hard drive free. I was trying to install 32-Bit. Microsoft DVD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you know if the DVD you have is the media refresh version including SP1?

There was an issue on a very small percentage of computers (less than 1%) that had an issue with the W7 SP1 Install DVD so they put out a media refresh edition (SP1-U). If you have access to a blank DVD and a computer that is working but you can download and burn a copy of the media refresh version; it might be worth trying in your situation.

Reaction score
Do you know if the DVD you have is the media refresh version including SP1?

There was an issue on a very small percentage of computers (less than 1%) that had an issue with the W7 SP1 Install DVD so they put out a media refresh edition (SP1-U). If you have access to a blank DVD and a computer that is working but you can download and burn a copy of the media refresh version; it might be worth trying in your situation.
Could you give me a step by step instruction?, Thanks in Advance. :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On a working computer:
1.Download the W7-SP1-U ISO for the version that matches the version you currently have.
2.Download and install IMGBurn.
3.Click on the ISO and it should open with IMGBurn.
4.Put in a blank DVD and Burn it.

Then use that DVD on your computer to install W7

Reaction score
On a working computer:
1.Download the W7-SP1-U ISO for the version that matches the version you currently have.
2.Download and install IMGBurn.
3.Click on the ISO and it should open with IMGBurn.
4.Put in a blank DVD and Burn it.

Then use that DVD on your computer to install W7
I'll try to do it, but do you think I have a black screen because of my monitor?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wait a second. Maybe I misunderstood something here. I thought you got this black screen after installing W7. Were you reinstalling because of the black screen?

If your license is illegal then W7 will automatically set the background to black and it will make the start-up delay longer and longer until you enter a valid product key and activate. So my question would be, do you have a legally licensed and activated copy of W7?

If W7 did install properly and boots up slowly but does get to your desktop (even with an all black background) then there is nothing to be gained by downloading the Media Refresh Edition, it cannot help you.

Reaction score
Wait a second. Maybe I misunderstood something here. I thought you got this black screen after installing W7. Were you reinstalling because of the black screen?

If your license is illegal then W7 will automatically set the background to black and it will make the start-up delay longer and longer until you enter a valid product key and activate. So my question would be, do you have a legally licensed and activated copy of W7?

If W7 did install properly and boots up slowly but does get to your desktop (even with an all black background) then there is nothing to be gained by downloading the Media Refresh Edition, it cannot help you.
I have an illegal copy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then that is why it is doing it. You will need to purchase a legal product key and that issue will go away.

As we do not condone nor encourage illegal activities on w7forums, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question