Windows 7 and thumb drive problem

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 pro and the problem occurs when I have my Sandisk Cruzer 8GB thumb drive plugged in. It's hard to explain what's going on but when the thumb drive is plugged in, the frames on open programs blink or flash. Also, when I go into All Programs and click on let's say the Microsoft Office folder and try to select one in the list, the start menu window closes. Here is a link to a vid I made. It's kind of blurry but you can see the frames blink and the start menu closing when I try to select a program. Like I said this only occurs when the cruzer is plugged in.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Gt1pEkeZzFs[/MEDIA]"]Cruzer problem[/ame]

This is a clean install as of about 2-3 weeks ago. Windows is updated and all MB drivers were downloaded and installed straight from the manufacturer's website.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My guess would be a hardware problem. A short in the flash drive if you are lucky because you can just throw it out - try another and see if the issue persists. Otherwise it could be the USB connector in your computer.

Reaction score
Damn. You could be right though. I have a second thumb drive that is almost always plugged in and doesn't cause any problems. I'll try a few more tests before tossing it out.

Luckily 8GB flash drives are cheap, around $10US

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well, be sure to test the exact same USB slot that this one was in when it gave you problems.

Reaction score
It's not the USB ports. I tried both drives in each of the USB ports and only the Sandisk thumb drive caused the problem. I then tried to remove the software that came with the drive. I removed all but the security software. Still no luck. The last thing I did was disable the security software and the problem stopped. Just tested it out one last time before posting and with it enabled the problem, without no problem.

Ask a Question