Windows 7 Activation Question

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium which came with both 32 bit and 64 bit disks.

I have installed 32 bit version and have got a few days left to activate. I am not sure whether I want to keep the 32 bit version or install the 64 bit version but I want to play a bit longer before I make up my mind.

My question is if I activate my copy of Windows with 32 bit installed and if I then later install 64 bit version on the same computer, will it that be OK or am I likely to encounter any activation problems? I wil, ofcourse, only have Windows 7 installed in one machine.

Thanks...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium which came with both 32 bit and 64 bit disks.

I have installed 32 bit version and have got a few days left to activate. I am not sure whether I want to keep the 32 bit version or install the 64 bit version but I want to play a bit longer before I make up my mind.

My question is if I activate my copy of Windows with 32 bit installed and if I then later install 64 bit version on the same computer, will it that be OK or am I likely to encounter any activation problems? I wil, ofcourse, only have Windows 7 installed in one machine.

Thanks...
No, you won't have any problems at all! Just remember that going to the x64 version you'll have to do a clean install as you can't upgrade to x64 from x86. Plus if you have 4GB of RAM or more, then the x64 OS will utilize the RAM to the fullest.

That guy jonnyboy123 at the other forum is very mistaken about the the activation. As long as you only install on one computer and activate you're fine. You just can't have two installs using the same product key. Also when x64 installs, it creates an x86 Programs Folder so that the majority of x86 (32 bit) software will run on it. I have had very little issues with running 32 bit software on x64 Windows 7. Now some firewall and AV programs are not compatible with x64 Windows 7, but that is changing very quickly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
jonnyboy123 quote
if you activate 1 version (64bit or 32bit) it will make the other one unusable unless you buy another license.
That guy jonnyboy123 at the other forum is very mistaken about the the activation.
Yes he is very mistaken

I have installed both versions on my PC. However it is against the license agreement to have them both running at the same time. One license equals one install.

Even though I am using the second install for Backup and Restore purposes, it is still against the license agreement. This alone proves jonnyboy123 wrong.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you have left it a bit too late, Acro.
Ideally, you should have partitioned and run both versions for evaluation. until activation, this would be 100% legal. You still have a little time ??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 32 bit and even activated it. I then, ultimately, decided to go 64 bit about a month later and did the full reinstall and then just activated that....no issues whatsoever

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I cannot put it to the test, but I consider that you could go on dual booting 64Bit and 32Bit for ever.
It is only a question of ethics and legality. It would be illegal, but can certainly be done - permanently.

Reaction score
Hi,
If you want to evaluate the 32 bit version a while longer, don't activate. Just rearm the evaluation period for 30 more days.

Open an administrator command prompt window by right clicking on the Command Prompt icon and selecting "Run as administrator"

Then type slmgr -rearm

If will say completed successfully ( it takes a short while)

Then reboot.

You will have 30 more days to evaluate.

Ask a Question