Windows 7 64 bit needing 32 bit Browser

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 64 bit and need to install a 32 bit browser so that I can download the latest version of Flash Player.

I did have a few problems with IE8 initially and so tried to un-install it and download an older version, however this did not work [the un-install or download attempt]. Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You can't downgrade to IE7 on Windows 7. IE8 is currently, in my opinion, very unstable.

I'd suggest you use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera.

Reaction score
I was having that same problem since i could not see any videos from youtube or whatever. I found out that IE 32 bit is already installed in Win 7 64 bit.

Look around in the files and you will see two IE's listed. The one you want has (x86) for the 32 bit version. Make a shortcut for it to your desktop and use that one when you want to view flash videos, (provided you have downloaded Adobe).

The lack of Adobe flash support makes the 64 bit version great for surfing sites that have all those annoying flashing ads trying to get your attention, such as news sites. Now you can read the stories in peace. So now I have the best of both worlds.

Google's chrome is ok and works just fine, but I'm used to how IE works and prefer it instead.

Edit: Thought I would elaborate in case someone doesn't know where to look. Go to "Computer," click on "Local Disk," and you will see 2 sets of "Program Files." The one you want is "Program Files (x86)." Open that and you will see "IE." Right click on it and look for "Send To." Click that and then click on "Desktop." Now you are done.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can also go to the "Start Orb" and click on "All Programs" and find the two Internet Explorer version icons there.

Reaction score
Mine doesn't show 2 versions under "All Programs" even though I use both and have a shortcut to each on my desktop.

Btw, if/when you make that shortcut, you can rename it to IE 32 or whatever.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was having that same problem since i could not see any videos from youtube or whatever. I found out that IE 32 bit is already installed in Win 7 64 bit.

Look around in the files and you will see two IE's listed. The one you want has (x86) for the 32 bit version. Make a shortcut for it to your desktop and use that one when you want to view flash videos, (provided you have downloaded Adobe).

The lack of Adobe flash support makes the 64 bit version great for surfing sites that have all those annoying flashing ads trying to get your attention, such as news sites. Now you can read the stories in peace. So now I have the best of both worlds.

Google's chrome is ok and works just fine, but I'm used to how IE works and prefer it instead.

Edit: Thought I would elaborate in case someone doesn't know where to look. Go to "Computer," click on "Local Disk," and you will see 2 sets of "Program Files." The one you want is "Program Files (x86)." Open that and you will see "IE." Right click on it and look for "Send To." Click that and then click on "Desktop." Now you are done.
The lack of Adobe flash support stops the ads? That may be the best feature in IE. I've adjusted settings to block popups, and they still break through. Personally, I have nothing against IE, it's just when IE8 emerged, the problems began. IE7 was a fine browser, still is on XP. What IE needs is more customization. Like Adblock Plus & No Script. WOT is available. More speed, too. IE7 had it. But thanks for the tip, I'll have to check IE x64 out.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have heavily customised my Start menu, but I think the two IE's are under Accessories.
Fwiw. There is a flash 64Bit Beta available now. I installed it, but still get a pop up asking me if I wish to install Flash, whenever I am on a page that uses it.
Another downside of the 64Bit browser is that it cannot be used as the default, so you cannot enter it through, for example, your favourites.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have heavily customised my Start menu, but I think the two IE's are under Accessories.
Fwiw. There is a flash 64Bit Beta available now. I installed it, but still get a pop up asking me if I wish to install Flash, whenever I am on a page that uses it.
Another downside of the 64Bit browser is that it cannot be used as the default, so you cannot enter it through, for example, your favourites.
That's what happened when I tried using IE 64 bit. The system continually requested permission regarding "Adobe Flash Player Installer". Other than that, it was fine. But I don't understand a program asking permission for something that doesn't exist.

Reaction score
The lack of Adobe flash support stops the ads? That may be the best feature in IE. I've adjusted settings to block popups, and they still break through. Personally, I have nothing against IE, it's just when IE8 emerged, the problems began. IE7 was a fine browser, still is on XP. What IE needs is more customization. Like Adblock Plus & No Script. WOT is available. More speed, too. IE7 had it. But thanks for the tip, I'll have to check IE x64 out.
Yeah, for me it works out great. I use IE64 for surfing the net, reading the news, etc. and IE32 when I want to watch a video. I just turn off the sound so I won't hear the 'beep' from a site that wants me to install Flash just so they can show me their annoying ads, lol.

Before getting Win7 64, I purposely left Adobe uninstalled for just that reason.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, for me it works out great. I use IE64 for surfing the net, reading the news, etc. and IE32 when I want to watch a video. I just turn off the sound so I won't hear the 'beep' from a site that wants me to install Flash just so they can show me their annoying ads, lol.
Wouldn't it be easier to just use one browser for both?

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier to just use one browser for both?
I think you missed the point. Sure you can use just IE32 if you want to see all the crappy flashing ads while you are trying to read a news story, but until they give us an on/off switch for Adobe Flash I'll use the browser without it.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. Sure you can use just IE32 if you want to see all the crappy flashing ads while you are trying to read a news story, but until they give us an on/off switch for Adobe Flash I'll use the browser without it.
I don't see any flashing ads, but then again I don't use IE.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I use Firefox 3.6. I did take a look at the 64 bit IE, but every other page, there was a notice asking about installing Flash. It lasted every bit of five minutes, that's all I could stand it.

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I use Firefox 3.6. I did take a look at the 64 bit IE, but every other page, there was a notice asking about installing Flash. It lasted every bit of five minutes, that's all I could stand it.
Heh, you have to take the good with the bad. I personally find the Flash notice much less annoying than the ads, but that's just me.

Does Firefox block the flashing ads and still be able to view videos such as on Youtube.com since it uses Adobe Flash?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Heh, you have to take the good with the bad. I personally find the Flash notice much less annoying than the ads, but that's just me.

Does Firefox block the flashing ads and still be able to view videos such as on Youtube.com since it uses Adobe Flash?
Yes, there's two addons that you can install of FF 3.6 2, Adblock Plus for ads, No Script to allow you to view videos. But today, after a year of using FF, there may or may not still be a severe vulnerability that I discovered. It is said that FF 3.5.2 has taken care of the problem, but it has existed for a while, and it will be a while before I even consider FF again. You can try it and see, but you may want to wait at least a month to see if there's anymore reports of arbitrary code execution. You can look it up on Wikipedia to see the definition of it. The problem is, FF regularly updates their browser, saying what issues have been resolved with the current update. What they don't say is what issues haven't been fixed. This concerns me, and should concern every last FF user.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem is, FF regularly updates their browser, saying what issues have been resolved with the current update. What they don't say is what issues haven't been fixed. This concerns me, and should concern every last FF user.
The same is true of every browser on the market.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was about to post something similar, Thrax.

I can only say that if anyone is concerned with security vulnerabilities in a browser, then they have a potential problem with using the internet. All the browsers on the market are neck and neck on that issue.
IMO. I do believe that IE, which is my browser of choice, has possibly the most options to improve security, but of course, these will slow down your browsing experience.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Go here and read my post of 3-24-2010 with the Secunia screenshots.

https://www.w7forums.com/have-dumped-firefox-ie8-any-better-t4959.html#post33976
I've had Secunia's advisor on my laptop for a while now, and apparently, even though they were the original ones to report the FF problem long ago, only Adobe and File Hippo's Update Checker were pointed out as potential security problems on my laptop. I applied the fix for Adobe, it was still listed as a risk. 3.6.2 may have solved the problem for FF, but I'm going to wait before considering a reinstall of it. Thrax pointed out an article, Chrome is actually the most secure third party browser on the market, according to it.

Ask a Question