Windows 7 32 bit will not launch after installation

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 32 bit on computer with a gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mother board and windows will not boot. When I restart, I get the screen that windows did not shut down correctly, I then put the installation disk in and select start windows normally and it will launch. Why won't it launch with out the disk?

Reaction score
Try using your disc to run a repair after it boots to CD it will ask for language then follow the steps from there and run repair

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you messed around with the MBR (Master Boot Record) ?

Did you accidentally remove the 100MB partition that Windows 7 installs during the initial installation?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As Nibs stated, that 100MB partition is there for a purpose, don't mess with it. And I've never seen the need to mess with the MBR for anything.

I'd either suggest a startup repair, or a fresh install. Format the drive, if you need to reinstall. After you format, you'll be offered to make that 100MB partition. Do so, that way, you should be OK. 100MB is only a micro space on today's HDD's. It does count as a primary, but it's no big deal. If you need extra partitions for data, make them logical ones, rather than primary.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Have tried repair and clean re-install after formatting the drive and still have the same problem. I have not messed with the MBR. Really don't know what is going on with it.

Reaction score
It's worth a shot, but after you finally get into windows using your install disk. Make a Windows Recovery disk using control panel.

After you have burned that disk, leave it in the drive and reboot using the recovery disk.
Click Install Now
Click Next
Select Use recovery tools...Click Next
and when you get to the recovery options click Command Prompt.

At the Prompt Type BOOTSECT /nt60 c: /mbr

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question