Windows 7 32/64 Bit or XP SP3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newbie of this forum. I would appreciate if you guys can help me out setup my new PC.

My PC Configuration is

AMD Phenom ii X2 560 Processor
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard,
Ram: 4 GB DDR3 1333 BUS
HDD 500GB
AGP 1 GB ATI RADEON HD 4250 (Builtin)
Monitor: Samsung B2230 (21.5' LCD)

I have been using Windows XP Service pack 3 on my old computer which were a dual core intel 2.4 ghz with 512 mb ram.

I want a suggestion from you people, Shall i move to WIndows 7 32 bit or 64 bit or install XP SP 3 on my new PC?

I will basically work on Graphics Design,Web Design, Video Editing & Desktop Publishing Task.

Which Operating system will be better for higher perfromanc with my configuration of PC?

Thanks in advance for co-operation

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :D

With a PC like that you'd need to go with Windows 7 x64 to make the most of it, as you wouldn't be able to address the full amount of memory on XP/W7 32-bit.

IMO, it's a hands down winner for Windows 7 x64. It doesn't make much sense to have a great system like that and then stick a 10 year old operating system on it ;).

We're on hand to help with any questions or queries you have about W7, so you'll have plenty of support installing and configuring it :).

Reaction score
Hey lan,

Thanks for the reply. I have already installed Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit on my new pc. I have found that the Usable ram is 2.75 GB despite 4 GB.My AGP card (ATI Radeon HD 4250) is integrated to the motherboard. Is it the issue or 32 bit is the issue?

Can i switch to 64 bit windows seven without losing the C drive data and installed application?

I have confusion regarding availability of application for 64 bit.Can i install 32 bit enable application on 64 bit windows?

Thanks a ton again for your co-operation

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In order to utilize the full use of your RAM you'll have to do a clean install of Windows 7 x64. The onboard video is using some of your RAM, sounds about 512MB to me from what you've posted.

You cannot install it over the 32-bit you'll have to do a clean install. Which means you'll lose all that you installed so far. Be sure you download all the latest 64-bit drivers for your motherboard and any other hardware before doing the install and save them on a flash drive or external drive, if you have one.

Nearly all 32-bit applications will run on 64-bit though, you'll just have to reinstall them.

I know it's a pain, but that's what you'll have to do.

Have fun! Besides now you'll have more experience on the new install.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nibiru. Yes My on board AGP is using about 512mb ram...

I will go for fresh install of 64 bit Windows 7 then..

waiting for more faster performance

Reaction score
Installed Fresh 4 bit windows 7..Now physical memory is 3.5 GB..Thanks for the suggestions mate..

Now its time to download application for 64 bit ;)

Ask a Question