Window 7 freezes!!!!

Reaction score
This is what they came up with after so many years? this is what Microsoft came up with and claimed it is been tested even with Steve ballmer's son? This is the best they can do? I have been on my laptop for 2 hours and had to reset 6 times. And it seems to get worse day after day. the second day i installed it it only froze 1 time for being on it for over 6 hours. Microsoft may as well give up software staffs and may be focusing on making mouse pad and keyboard before the name "Microsoft" gets tarnished forever.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have been using Windows 7, all editions, since the early Betas. Currently I am installing on clients computers. My own computers varied from a medium quality laptop to a sophisticated Stationary.

To date, I swear to you, apart from my own testing "experiments", I have not had a single failure or the need for a reset.

From where did you obtain the Windows 7 package, and have you installed any software so far? perhaps someone on these pages can point you in a better direction??

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Windows 7. I myself have had 1 freeze up and 5 or 6 Blue Screens. This has been so far narrowed down within this forum as hardware and software being Non-Windows 7 compliant.

I myself have a new home built computer and think I have purchased a bad memory module. Before this build I was not experiencing any issues with the old machine. Just because you are faced with problems does not mean the problem lies within the Operating System. There is more to a PC than the Operating System.

There have been others who have fixed there freezing issues through changing power feature settings. Some have found that their Anti-Virus programs was causing problems. One guy is potentially pointing a finger at his media player. One of the most common fixes is through a BIOS update for their system.

Reaction score
Window 7 freezes

Hey guys,
wasn't this the same issue that Vista has? If other programs aren't compatible with Window 7 then who's fault is it? Probably mine huh!!! Microsoft needs to wake up man. Consumers have choices now. I can go to Apple and so is someone else. Of course I thought my laptop was the problem until I looked around online and on this forum and saw that many other people have the same issue. My laptop is a month old and the Window 7 software was sent to me by Dell. i am not a computer gig and I expect to have a product work the way it should when i get it. I strongly believe that Microsoft is incompetent and they need to wake up and fix this. You'll probably found out in the coming days or weeks that this issue will give them a bad review and then they will fix it. Unless you work at microsoft, no one knows why it freezes. All these ppl saying this and that are just doing trials and errors. But understand that microsoft has the sole responsability of assuring the compatibility of his products period. thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you installed Windows 7 as an upgrade then you're probably experiencing these issues. Quite a few user have had these problems.

The only way I know of to avoid this is to do a clean install of the OS.

1. Installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (using Upgrade disc) by selecting Custom Install when prompted.
  2. Deleted all disk partitions when given the chance (so as to completely start fresh) and then clicked Next to allow the default partition creation.
  3. Left the Product Code field and Activate checkbox blank when prompted.
  4. Once Windows 7 had finished installing I was brought to the Desktop.
  5. Instead of reinstalling Windows 7 as an upgrade (taking another 30 minutes or so), I simply launched the System applet (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System).
  6. From here, I launched the "Change product key" link under the "Windows activation" section, entered my Windows 7 Pro product code and followed the prompts to Activate.
  7. Done.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys,
wasn't this the same issue that Vista has? If other programs aren't compatible with Window 7 then who's fault is it? Probably mine huh!!! Microsoft needs to wake up man. Consumers have choices now. I can go to Apple and so is someone else.. But understand that microsoft has the sole responsability of assuring the compatibility of his products period. thanks.
You are wrong. Software manufacturers have had more than a year to ensure that there products were compatible. (Microsoft certainly did not have "sole responsibility" ). That was the whole purposes of them receiving builds and bug hunting. After such an expended period, it was hardly the fault of Microsoft, that they had still not ensured compatibility. In most cases, this was simply a matter of changing installation paths. Microsoft did most of the leg work here, by introducing the compatibility mode. The argument particularly applies to Drivers. I do not know how difficult it is to redraw a driver program to run in an updated OS, nor do I understand, in my ignorance, why it should be such a problem. The OS kernel remains essentially the same and I would have imagined the driver would only have needed minor adjustments. It was very much, for these reasons, that Vista was alleged a failure.
The thought occurs to me that, perhaps, in the case of the drivers, this is an excellent chance for hardware manufacturers to dump old products and put the blame on someone elses shoulders. This ensures the sale of newer products and more money in their pockets than simply updating software.
Whilst not on the subject of drivers, Flash, produced by a company with an excellent reputation, is still, after some years, not compatible with 64Bit.
In your own case, I have no idea which particular software you refer to but, there is a vast amount of third party "one-offs" out there, which were designed off the cuff for one purpose, and for one era. The particular programmers, possibly small and private, may not have any interest in pursuing the update path.

You are correct. There is an alternative. In the case of new users who are apparently having insurmountable problems with Windows 7, I have good reason to wonder why they do not revert to that path. They could remain with XP, an excellent and, now, trouble free, program, if it fulfills their needs, or take one of the many LInux programs at no extra cost. (Good luck with that one!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have not have had any problems with Windows 7, and I have been using it for about 13 months. If this is some sort of hardware/software issue, then I'd LOVE to see what hardware/software is causing these failures. And from the posts you have seen above, you are probably to experience these kinds of system failures so easily in Windows 7. :)

Reaction score
Software manufacturers have had more than a year to ensure that there products were compatible. (Microsoft certainly did not have "sole responsibility".)
Thanks davehc
I decided to keep quiet on this one. I didn't see a way to respond without getting rude.
Besides how do you say something to someone from the other side of the road. It often requires shouting to reach the other side.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
LOL. Shouting can sometimes be heard.

Reaction score
There're so many things that don't work with w7 it's aweful. It simply doesn't matter to me if it's the fault of ms or a third party. For me the tools don't work.

OpenVPN, vSphereClient, True Crypt, vmware Tools, just to recall a few. None of them work in any compability mode for me so far of have a funny behaviour in any way.

Still I myself only own a msdnaa prerelease, so you can say anytime *oh we are so sorry but they sure as hell fix it soon*.

Things are still the same since I can recall.
Upgrade will mess up your OS.
Bunch of your favourite tools wont work for half a year.

Still I like w7 as it is quite a nice piece of software and everyone who uses it already in a productive system is nuts anyway. Like me.

Reaction score
Window 7 freezes

I don't think you that are defending MS are really savyy! You can turn the blame around to other software makers but MS recognied their mistakes in Vista. Therefore the same problems are in W7 and probably they will accept the mistakes AGAIN!. I am just a consumer expecting to buy a product that work. My latop was working fine before W7. Therefore the problem is W7. What part of that dont you get?

Reaction score
What part of change do you not understand?

In order to make software better there has to be change. Microsoft cannot bring change without all other software makers changing with them. It's a group effort to make change for the better. If you expect MS to conform to the standard of software currently on the market and stay that way. There will never be any advancement in the software industry.

To be honest I am not so sure there were mistakes in vista. Windows Vista ran fine on my PC, used twice as much memory as Windows XP or 7 but ran fine. I never had a BSOD or Freeze UP. All my hardware installed as well as all my software. Windows 7 ran the same way on this computer.

I now have a different computer and experiencing a few BSOD's. This tells me there is nothing wrong with Windows 7. I have a few bugs to work out with the newer system is all.

If you have a problem please state what it is so we might can help you fix it. If you feel you don't need any help then there is no need in posting this negativity toward MS.

Reaction score
Window 7 freezes

My computer freezes randomly with W7 is the problem. May be the other sofware companies like Apple better than MS then becasue Snow Leopard seems to not have issues. You are the only one I've heard had minor issues with Vista. I didn't own Vista because of the negative reviews. I decided to go with W7 because I though MS would learn the lesson. It is not about being negative but stating the facts. Look around the internet and postings or type "why does W7 freezes" and see how many results you will get? tons of them. I am not the only one. may be i am one of the few who take time to write my problems. But the fact of the matter is my brand new laptop starting freezing with W7. Thanks.

Reaction score
Look around the internet and postings or type "why does W7 freezes" and see how many results you will get? tons of them. I am not the only one. may be i am one of the few who take time to write my problems.
I am curious how many did not have issues.

I am also curious to know what you may have tried to fix your freezing problem.

Reaction score
Some solutions on windows 7 freezes

I have found after 3 months of trials 2 bugs and solutions for freezes on Windows 7 x64.
As you know Microsoft has solved these problems (I hope temporary) with kill process loop after a timeout but this is unacceptable.

Case a)
Driver Microsoft for Realtek High Definition Audio has problems.
Solution: Download and install original Realtek High Definition Audio.
Case b)
AHCI SATA driver produces loop (Freeze) in special conditions (example: during multimedia player)
In this case only solution is SET BIOS for SATA (NO AHCI) and reinstall WINDOWS 7.

After these changes I have not had any freezes.

Reaction score
Reducing Freeze's problems in multimedia environment

On Windows 7 (x86 & x64) it is possible to reduce Freeze's problems changing with
REGEDIT this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - System - CurrentControlSet - Control
WaitToKillServiceTimeout (default value 12000 ms) 34000

Reaction score
WaitToKillServiceTimeout (default value 12000 ms) 34000
Why would you tell windows to wait 34 seconds instead of 12 seconds to kill a service?
Would this not lengthen the freezing issue because you are making windows wait longer before recovering.

Reaction score
My debugging

What is the origin of freeze problem ? I have installed Windows 7 on different environments and different hardware (not only brand PC as Dell, HP, Acer, and so on). In Office environment (Word,Excell, etc) the freezes are not present. The problems comes up in multimedia or games environment.If you play a movie in full hd (through HDMI) with DTS sound (through Optical digital) the problems could be evident. Not always depending by processor, memory, hard disk and other resources.
There are freeze's problems for driver bugs but these are more easy to identify and to define because they are repeated in same conditions. On last thread I refer for freeze's problem that happens on heavy and dinamic software conditions. On these case the freeze happens because a service delays to answer and kill service shoots it.
In these cases pratically the remedy is more prejudical as disease.
Try to believe!

Ask a Question