Win7 Prof won't shut down cleanly

Reaction score
Hi - Just got my third laptop in 2 months - same issue so not hardware related. Current laptop - HP dv7-3065dx. X64 preloaded with Win 7 home premium, loaded Win 7 Proffesional and Kaspersky. System would reboot itself without warning - it was idle at the time. Geek Squad changed my sleep settings to never. No unexpected shut down but now the system will not shut down cleanly. It tries and hangs and then gives the BSOD and creates dump file. Then restarts saying that it has recovered from an unexpected reboot. Checking for solution with Microsoft does no good.

HELP!!!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi win7_newbie & welcome to Windows 7 Forums

preloaded with Win 7 home premium, loaded Win 7 Proffesional and Kaspersky
Was this an upgrade or a clean install ? and can you archive your latest dump file to a zip file and post it to this thread so a solution may be found :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Can you disable Kaspersky and then see if your system is hanging at shutdown, also what version of Kaspersky are you using ?.

Reaction score
Sure will disable Kaspersky. It is version 2010 Anit-virus. I will double check that.
Thanks

Reaction score
I turned off Kaspersky. Rebooted - still hung and failed the shutdown. Rebooted and then tried shut down again. Still failed. attached are the two dump files created. it seemed that the shutdown took a bit longer. In the blue screen - i briefly saw something about a device driver issue.?
thank you so very much for your help. It is so appreciated. as right now I am not confident of this brand spanking new laptop. sigh...:( :confused:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Kaspersky version 2010 should work fine so we are looking at Windows 7 and as this was an upgrade i would suggest first try a Startup Repair and if Windows cant rectify the problem we can go for a Repair Install (in both cases your applications you have loaded will not be lost)

First try > https://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html

Reaction score
I have tried the Startup Repair. Learned that trick from the Geek Squad. I also do a windows memory diagnostic option. No luck. Neither one reports any errors.

I have tried to create a restore point a couple of times and get the error that it couldn't get the 'shadow copy' completed.

There are no other programs on here that I am concerned about. My only concern is that a full system recovery using the recovery disks will mean I have to contact Microsoft to get a new key for my Win 7 Professional Upgrade. That can be done.

My husbands new Dell Laptop - which does NOT have the Win 7 Professional Upgrade installed and it doesn't seem to have these problems. That was an in place upgrade from Vista. Could these issues be isolated to the Win 7 Professional Upgrade?

I wanted the ability to run the Windows XP mode for legacy apps ( for my job). That is the only reason I purchased Win 7 Professional.

Any and all suggestions - are so very welcomed. I have spent hours and two laptops's trying to use this.

Thanks you.
Geri

Reaction score
Veedaz - I did a Windows Anytime Upgrade on my laptop. I do not have the original DVD. Is there any other way I can do this Repair Install?

Reaction score
:( - sigh - :(
I download the ISO file for Win7 Professional for my laptop. I figured out how to extract the files and make the install disk. I ran the install - and during the very first restart - the shut down process failed. The Install was so kind to continue until the very end and then it tells me that the upgrade failed. Lost about 4 hours with that! So now it rolled it back - It still shows I have Win 7 Professional. Suggestions? Is a restore of the whole system next?

:dontknow:

Geri

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Looking back on what has been done i would say yes as you now have the Windows 7 install disk you can perform a clean install and do use full format.

Reaction score
Thank you all -ended up returning said laptop and software and am trying a new laptop -the Toshiba I really wanted...

Hopefully this will not have these issues.

Thanks to all of you.

Reaction score
FYI - recieved laptop number 5, Did not do windows 7 professional upgrade. Installed Kaspersky 2010. After I started the full scan - started having the BSOD. Uninstalled Kaspersky and all was well. Returned Kaspersky and am now running WebRoot. Not exactly what I wanted but at least I now have a laptop that works! Thanks to all that tried to help. Hopefully this bug will be fixed by next year when I renew...

Thank you

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
win7_newbie,
If you want to install Windows 7 Pro, its always best to do a clean or custom install, not the upgrade method.

Also when burning an ISO image file, you DON'T extract the files first, you use an ISO image burning software such as ImgBurn. It's free and does a great job. Plus burn no faster than 4x to ensure an accurate burn and then use the program's verify feature to check the burn against the ISO image.

Oh, one more thing. DON'T EVER, EVER let Geek Squad touch your computer, all they'll do is screw it up!

The qualifications for Geek Squad are:
1. Bipedal Homonid
2. Slight case of acne, but not too much.
3. Must be 16 years old.
4. Have no life outside of Best Buy, except for marathon WoW gaming sessions.

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
win7_newbie,
If you want to install Windows 7 Pro, its always best to do a clean or custom install, not the upgrade method.

Also when burning an ISO image file, you DON'T extract the files first, you use an ISO image burning software such as ImgBurn. It's free and does a great job. Plus burn no faster than 4x to ensure an accurate burn and then use the program's verify feature to check the burn against the ISO image.

Oh, one more thing. DON'T EVER, EVER let Geek Squad touch your computer, all they'll do is screw it up!

The qualifications for Geek Squad are:
1. Bipedal Homonid
2. Slight case of acne, but not too much.
3. Must be 16 years old.
4. Have no life outside of Best Buy, except for marathon WoW gaming sessions.

ouch!!!! you really don't like these guys...:eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I personally have NO use for the "geek squad" nor Best Buy, either. Those geek squad employees really live up to their name, they truly are "geeks", and not in the computer sence. And Best Buy, they run an ad for something good starting on Sunday. Go there and try to get it and see what happens. One week before buying this very computer that I'm on straight from HP, Best Buy had the exact same model (MS214 all in one) for $549. Or so the ad said. I went in there around 12:00, and the salesman told me the last one just went out the door. I heard that same line of s**t a few years ago when I bought a new car. The salesman told me the last one just drove off. Salespeople will tell you anything to make a sale of something more expensive. Too, Best Buy employees are on "quotas" to sell extended warranties. For a third of the price, Square Trade will sell you the same warranty, only better. They guarantee the price that you paid for the item. You file a claim with them, they email you a shipping label within minutes. And if it's an expensive repair, they simply refund your purchase price. They don't try to push an "open box" or "demo" down your throat. For this PC, I got a 3 year warranty for $57. But I did get 20% off, because I have three covered products through them. And I first hand tell you, they give your money back. I was refunded $400 over a hard drive. But this is someone else's topic, so that's it about that. win7_newbie, I'm glad you got straightened out, and hopefully it won't happen again. Best of luck to you.

Ask a Question