Win XP Pro OS & video driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm throwing this is off-topic because it's WinXP, not W7.

Hoping someone has a link to Win XP (32-bit) video drivers for IBM ThinkPad R51 Laptop
-AND-
Microsoft download link for Win XP Pro 32-bit (they had SP3 installed but if that's not available I'm sure it would update)

I have a friend whose wife's laptop got a virus and they don't have recovery disks (and apparently no recovery partition either). They have the license code stickered to the bottom of the laptop for XP Pro and so I was wondering if there is a URL for a download of Win XP Pro like the URLs that we have stickied for W7? They bought a copy of XP Home, but his wife isn't satisfied because it doesn't offer some functions she uses.

Also she doesn't get the same screen resolutions as she used to have so they also must need a different video driver than his XP home disks installed.

IBM ThinkPad R51 Laptop (machine type 1830)
Intel Pentium M processor 1600 MHz
Memory: 1278 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4C57)

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I doubt that you can get a legit download to an XP disc, if you were able to, it may be malware infested. A long time ago, I bought such a disc (download) that appeared to look like a genuine site, not for myself, but a friend.

The OS was so infected, that no tool could clean it. I wound up out of $39. This was in 2007.

However, on eBay, there are "reinstall" discs (XP Pro, SP2 & 3) for different makes of computers. I don't know about IBM, but Dell & HP discs are plentiful.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat, I read technet has download links but he & I aren't members. I was hoping since those links are public for W7 that someone may know them for WinXP Pro as well. He has the key, he just needs the ISO.

mwollenzier, he doesn't want to upgrade, he just wants to reinstall from the original ISO for WinXP Pro, as he already has a legit key. If upgrading XP is anything like in Win7 then upgrade keys are different then install keys and what he has in an original factory install key.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
In case all else fails, you can get the filenames and hashes of Technet released XP ISOs from here. You can google a filename for various places to download it. It's not nicely fair and square the way a Technet subscription would be, but with the hash info you can at least be sure you're not getting all kinds of crap needled in.

Catilley - are you talking about OEM discs? I tried to sell an OEM disc of Windows on eBay many years ago, but Microsoft had the auction shut down because they don't allow resale of OEM discs. I'd be extremely wary of purchasing Windows discs from eBay.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
He has obtained a copy of the OS and I have passed along the video driver link.
Thank you for your help; this is now solved.

There is no marking the thread solved in this category so I will just close it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question