SOLVED Win 7pro 64 bit install fails / can I try 32 bit

Reaction score
Hello, my computer stopped working so after trying other things, I put in a blank hard drive and tried to install Windows 7 Pro OEM (full) version. After starting the install and rebooting a few times, I end up with a black screen and no going forward!

But the computer runs Ubuntu okay.

I thought maybe there's a problem with the 64 bit function of my CPU. I heard there was a way to install the Windows 64-bit OEM (DVD) as the 32 bit version, can anyone advise?

Or any other suggestions for troubleshooting this problem?

I'm using a AMD 6-core "bulldozer" and I tried the memory test.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off, was the hard drive truly empty or had it had ubuntu on it prior to the w7 install attempt? If Linux was installed then you need to delete all the drive partitions with Linux before you attempt to install W7.

second, if you have a 6-core processor then there is little to no chance it isn't 64-bit capable.

third, there is some question to the legality of switching an OEM version from 64-bit to 32-bit. It will likely work and you can find W7 32-bit ISO downloads you can burn here but if you call Microsoft they may say you only bought 64-bit (retail versions ship with 2 disks and can legally be changed out but if you bought OEM then it comes with one disk).

Last edited:
Reaction score
It turns out the problem was having two monitors connected.When I thought I had disconnected "everything," turns out I had neglected to disconnect a 2nd monitor from my video card (Radeon HD 4650). Apparently, you can't install Windows 7 with two monitors connected - at least not with this card!Also, after installing Win 7, but before adding any drivers, I tried plugging the 2nd monitor back in and it crashed.Only after installing the driver for the video card, was Windows able to run with a 2nd monitor connected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First I had heard of that but I'm glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. I went ahead and marked this SOLVED.

Ask a Question