Win 7, No applications run, Help!

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem where Win 7 loads up just fine, but none of the 32 or 64bit services startup. I can browse through folders and things, but no programs will load at all when clicking on them. I checked the services in the system configuration screen and all are selected to start. I noticed I had a couple files flagged for viruses by Avast this morning. I accidently deleted them and this is the result I guess. Does anyone know what files would cause this problem? I can't even do a system restore without it returning the error 0x80070005 even in safe mode and from the system restore via F8 repair option. Is there any hope to repair this without doing an operating system reinstall.

Thanks,
Robert

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's most likely that you are still infected. From another computer download several versions of RKILL as well as a copy of Malwarebytes onto a USB stick. Then on your computer run RKILL from the USB stick (there are several versions because sometimes viruses block known removers so if one finds nothing try a couple more). Then without rebooting install Malwarebytes (but do not activate the free trial version) and then allow it to update and run a manual complete scan. (You should not activate the free trial because that is an "active" scanner and with AVAST you already have an active and it is not good to run two.)

If that does not solve your problem then you could try a system repair from the W7 install DVD (if you have one) or from a system repair DVD (type System Repair in the start-search bar and burn one from another W7 computer if you need one).

Links to RKILL and Malwarebytes can be found in our Freeware DB under the Virus Removal & Anti-virus sections respectively.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. When I run RKill off the usb stick it doesn't do anything. It pops up a windows and says the basic message "Do you want to allow the following to run" I just click yes, but it doesn't do anything. When I click on malware install it doesn't even install that either. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for you help...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
After you say yes it takes a minute or two but if it never gets to the point where it shows you a log then it is likely being blocked so try another version of it.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
See if you can run either from safe mode. It's possible you may not see the usb stick from safe mode but worth a try.

Reaction score
Yeah, I just tried that and the same thing in Safe mode. I have executed RKILL about 20 times and nothing happens at all. It's like I'm completely locked out of my own system. Wried...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you try the system repair from a W7 DVD or system repair disk?

You can also try System Restore.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
At this point it sounds like the OS is either hosed, or so badly infected you need to move beyond it. By that I am suggesting you grab a bootable OS CD (dozens of linux distros have them) and running anti-virus + anti-malware scans of the infected drive. They should be able to detect and remove infected files that way... but there is no guarantee it will fix the problem as the damage may already have been done.

I'd suggest backing up all the data you need as well using the bootable LiveCD. And scan that too before introducing it into a new Windows OS. Only after you have attempted to clean the OS install would I suggest attempting a system repair from the W7 DVD or a repair disk.

(There are dozens of LiveCDs and guides for many of them via Google, but if someone has used or knows of a specific one that's easy to use please post it for the OP! :) )

Ask a Question