Win 7 Flickers/Disappearing Menus

Reaction score
Wasn't sure how to classify what's happening but I recently installed Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It ran alright for a few days but over the last 2 days, I've been getting a flickering type problem when something is opened like the task manager, my computer or outlook. The outter edges will flicker at a constant rate. Now whatever is causing this is also affecting my ability to click on tabbed items or items I try to click if I right click an item. Ex: If I have task manager open and want to close it; I right click it in the task bar to click close but the minute I move to click close the menu disappears. This happens every time. It is also true if I try to click a sub-category in the All Programs, like trying to click outlook under Microsoft Office. The minute I move from Microsoft Office to Outlook, the menu disappears. I have all current Win 7 updates and device drivers. Have very few programs install at this time and the ones I have are Win 7 compatible.

Reaction score
Hey.

Malware is usually responsible for this type of behavior.

Install Malwarebytes. Run it and then update the definitions. Let it scan your machine and remove anything it finds.

Please update us on the situation after doing this so we can offer further help, if needed.

Reaction score
Alright, cool.

Type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type.

Perhaps there will be a few suggestions based on this.

Reaction score
Install the newest chipset driver package:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Nforce-15.53-WHQL-Windows-7-64-bit-download-2487.html

I would try uninstalling nTune. Also, type services.msc in the start menu then hit enter.
Use this screen to disable the Update Center Service.
Also disable NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service.

Update your HP printer drivers if they have new ones available.

Ensure that Kaspersky Internet is updated to latest possible. Consider uninstalling this is a test if needed.

Probably nTune as a guess...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Already have the most current chipset drivers. I also uninstalled everything related to my Nvidia card with exception of the video drivers and its control panel.

Completely uninstalled my printer and Kaspersky is up to date.

Still have the same problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tweaked the registry or used any programs that do registry tweaks for you? I am wondering if maybe you have set menu fade times etc too low.

I would suggest restoring to a checkpoint prior to this condition and see if it resolves your problem.

Reaction score
I was going to restore yesterday but I adjusted the restore size few days ago and for some reason the resize got screwed up and was set too low. I can only go as far back as Sunday which isn't far enough back. So restore isn't a option.

I'll check the menu fade time. I do run a registry cleaner but nothing that tweaks any values.

edit: checked the menu fade and it was set for 200. Changing it to the default of 400 did nothing.

It frustrating. lol If I try to open a menu like bookmarks, the minute I try to scroll to a link, the constant flicker r whatever it is closes the menu. The only one that doesn't seem to be affected by this is in My Computer. I can right click and navigate the menu/s with no problems.

I've pretty much ruled out a video problem. I can play the two games I have installed without a problem but if I tab out to desktop, I can't get back in. Once the game pops back up, the flicker problem send me right back to desktop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well since my install was just a week ago, I went ahead deleted my partitions, created them and reinstalled Win 7 Pro. Now only installing MB drivers and video drivers, I still get the same problem as before but not as dramatic. I can right click most menus and navigate the options but still can't navigate through sub-menus in the All Programs area.

I'm at a lose at this point.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you say reinstall - is this a fresh install or just system recovery?

How about your mouse? Anything special about its' drivers or settings? I mean logically what comes to mind is either graphics, the mouse controls, or the menu settings.

Right-click on the Start Orb and choose properties. Select the Start Menu tab (if not there already) and click Customize. Go down to "Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer" and try changing this setting. Click OK and apply and OK ... does that help at all?

Reaction score
It's a fresh install.

The mouse is running off of default windows drivers. It's a Logitech laser wireless mouse. I checked the menu settings and it's set for default (400).

The only change I can make with the "Opens submenus..." is to have it checked or unchecked. Either way didn't solve anything.

Edit: Updated mouse driver with Logitech driver. Nothing changed. I also looked at my keyboard and according to Microsoft it's supported with out any special software.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Train and Torrent. You talk about something pissing me off. Well it seems it wasn't a Windows, video or input device problem. I thought maybe my hard drive was going bad. While looking for a service tool, I came across an area for firmware. It seems to have been a firmware problem for my HD. Once updated, it seems to be acting right now. It's always the simple things.

Anyone else running out of ideas to fix their problem that might be related to a HD, check its firmware.

Reaction score
Yeah, very cool. Surprised that this was the resolution to the problem. Good find and fix!

Ask a Question