Win 7 Clean Install

Reaction score
Been having major problems the last few days trying to actually install Win 7!

Currently running a 64 bit vista on my rig no problems at all in the history of it.
Got my win 7 iso and boot from cd, as soon as it loads the background it just seems to hang, left it for an hour and just nothing at all happens.

Went into Vista and did a clean install from vista (Leaving all my old data on and just creating a new windows version) works fine, actually typing from it now.

So why does my installer crash if i run from boot to install in the VE the disk creates?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you using a Windows 7 install DVD disc?

Most installs with a "loader" are not working. You have to boot from the DVD drive with the install DVD in it and go from there.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You MUST boot from the DVD for a clean or "custom install", as it's called in the program. If you haven't done so already, backup your data and drivers. And Welcome to the forums, dfarrall. Good luck with your install. When you get it right, you'll love Windows 7. The best OS in the world.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since you say that you got the .iso, I am led to believe that you then personally burned the .iso to a DVD yourself. If that is the case then it is possible that you did not burn the .iso correctly and re-burning it may solve the problem

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's a strong possibility, especially if your DVD drive is getting worn, or burned it too fast. Everyone has their own opinion of this, but the slower, the better, has produced the best results for me. 3GB (or 2.3, if 32 bit) is a large burn and you don't need to rush it. And if your drive is worn, no matter the speed, it will be hard to burn a file of that size. There is one other possibility, some brands of computers only accept non-rewritable DVD's to do this with.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi dfarrall

You did not say what you burned the ISO image to disk with or what speed ? ImgBurn (freeware) > http://www.imgburn.com/ works well and try a lower burn speed ... good luck :)

Reaction score
I did indeed burn it myself. Used magiciso lowest speed, 5k kb/s or so.
Hav burnt ubuntu iso's before and they have worked fine. I realise I need to so a clean install however I can't get it to boot from thr disk to do so, however it installs fine if I do it inside windows so I'm inclined to think the disk is fine?

Cheers,
Dan

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just wondering ... you did burn as bootable ? and have set your boot order to Optical Drive as first boot, this can also be done via BIOS (do remember to return the BIOS boot order back when done)

Reaction score
Yep it's bootable, It loads the windows logo and background before it freezes
Yep cd drive is set to first boot device

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Can you drop your RAM down to 2GB if your using more than that and then try booting from the disk.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think it may be an idea to go with Draceena`s suggestion and re-burn the disk.

Reaction score
Reburnt the disk with no avail.

However after putting my vista disk in it seems that one is suffering the same problem.
Is it possible to boot it from an external hard drive and install from they're?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Makes a good read, looked at it and it seems i need to format the drive if i want to do this method, however its a terabyte hard drive with important data on so its really not an option. I could possibly partition 5gb of it to do this, however when looking through the application it doesnt seem to detect the drive, is this because it is not formated?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Reburnt the disk with no avail.

However after putting my vista disk in it seems that one is suffering the same problem.
Is it possible to boot it from an external hard drive and install from they're?

Thanks,
Dan
You may have a problem with your Optical drive, you could try uninstalling its driver and let Windows make a new one, if still no joy can you try another Optical drive ?

Reaction score
I've uninstalled it a few times but it hasnt helped.
However i cant understand why it would install fine from windows but not from bios?

Reaction score
Fixed this tonight, still unsure what the problem was.

Fixed by formatting totally and just installing and old OS then rebooting and the disc worked.
Strange but hey ho I'm away!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to see you got things worked out, dfarrall. Now you can sit at your computer and just "watch it work"!

Ask a Question