SOLVED Win 7 Backup - any mods lately

Reaction score
I only use win7 backup for IMAGES. My images have been (before Aug 4) consisting of 3 VHD files (system, C-drive,D-drive). Now it only has ONE VHD. Has there been a change to they way win 7 Backup works? The 3 VHD files were --one for each partition.

Reaction score
Thanx Elmer, I use both and I know how good Macrium Reflect is-------I helped solve issues with Techies @ Macrium on the Rescue disk & drivers for 3.0 usb etc. WIN 7
pulled me out a a jam when my 4 month old laptop decided to crash. It was a business computer and LOADED with data and needed repair quickly. Fortunately had a 4 day old Win 7 IMAGE. Back in business in 3 days and that includes special order Hard drive. Wow for Win 7 IMAGE. Only trouble with Win7 Image,--cannot backup to 4K formatted Ext Drive--must be 512 format. (internal drive in enclosure or PORTABLE Hard drive(pre-formatted 512) I have tried quite a few Image programs, including Acronis and Paragon---Macrium Reflect out-does them all!! Forget the Free one, purchase the good one, and don't forget to try out the "Rescue disc".(Restore) Don't wait for a failure before you find out it doesn't work. Bring the Restore process right to the "Brink", just before actual restore starts, as a TEST.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I disagree. The backup program in Windows 7 has proven to be very flexible, and reliable. Yes, alternative solutions abound and some may offer more flexibility, but if your goal is to back up and restore your data in the event of a catastrophic failure, Windows 7 Backup works just fine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The poster has asked if Microsoft has changed it. Have there been any updates to it?

I also think W7 back-up behaves strangely. When I was using it it would normally take about 30 minutes, but one week it was running over 12 hours and I had made very few changes that week. This was unacceptable to me and I shut it down and I no longer use it but my personal experience still doesn't answer the posters question.

If you know of any Windows Updates that pertained to W7 Back-up, THAT would answer the question as posted.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The poster has asked if Microsoft has changed it. Have there been any updates to it?

I also think W7 back-up behaves strangely. When I was using it it would normally take about 30 minutes, but one week it was running over 12 hours and I had made very few changes that week. This was unacceptable to me and I shut it down and I no longer use it but my personal experience still doesn't answer the posters question.

If you know of any Windows Updates that pertained to W7 Back-up, THAT would answer the question as posted.
I had the same sort of issue, but yes, you're right. My comment didn't answer the OPs question.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If Windows Backup hung, then certainly that's a problem, but it does not necessarily indicate the problem was caused by the backup program - especially if it only failed once after a significant history of working fine. A single file could have been stuck open, or a driver hiccuped, or something else.

If I had a history of backups normally taking 30 minutes, I would not abandon my backup program for one isolated failure. I would have run out of backup and imaging programs years ago. None have a perfect record.

In looking back through my installed updates, I don't see any recent changes to Windows Backup, but I did not dig too deeply as there have been quite a few in the last 2 months.

That said, win7few22, I applaud you for backing up your systems. Sadly, you are a rare breed!

Reaction score
Win7 Backup

Well, it looks like now, something happened to change MY win 7 backup. I fixed it by restoring my computer with an Aug 2 IMAGE. I was reluctant to do this, since its not really "current" enough, but I "Bit the Bullet" and did it anyhow. My Win7 Backup is now imaging all 3 of my partitions on C drive. I also backed up my USER files before image restore and restored them aftrwards------important.(email etc) I'll find out if any UPDATES make changes to Win 7 Backup as I download them,( a month's worth-WOW). I also rely on Macrium Reflect program. If all else fails, I can "return to Factory condition", then RESTORE to "current" with Win 7 Backup Program, and the latest IMAGE I have). To use Macrium image, I would have to re-install program.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Restore is never the ideal situation but it does make it easier than starting from scratch. Best of luck getting caught back up, hope it all works out for you.

Ask a Question