win 32bit on a x64 machine

Reaction score
hi everybody,
I have a notebook with a x64 architecture. It is installed ubuntu in a 64bit version.
Now I want to install win 7, but I only have a 32bit version. Should I do it, or not?

and why not or yes?

thanks in advance

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you planning to wipe out Ubuntu or dual-boot?

With 2GB of RAM you meet the bare minimum RAM requirements for 64-bit so you could install either as far as that goes.

You did not mention make/model of laptop so I cannot look it up but I would encourage you to first check the manufacturers site. Drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit are rarely interchangeable and if this is an older laptop then the manufacturer may not have bothered to create 64-bit drivers. However 32-bit Vista drivers can be used if you install W7 32-bit & no W7 drivers exist.

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the moment.
The laptop is a eeePC 1215B
AMD C Series C-60 (1.33GHz, 1MB L2)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then this is a laptop built for W7. ASUS drivers are available for 32 or 64-bit, your choice.

But you never answered my question about dual-boot. There are some things to keep in mind if you want to dual boot because Microsoft does try to take over and mess up your loader. See HERE.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then if you drop all the partitions first then you should be able to install either W7 32- or 64-bit

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you do install the X64 version of Windows 7, then I heartily recommend you increase the notebook's RAM to 4GB. It will run much smoother that way.

Ask a Question