Why won't the search work?

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm a newbie and just tried to search the forums to my question about "disk check could not be performed because windows can't access the disk" but the search engine changed "could not be" to "could -be". It returned 0 results.

Then it didn't like the word "because".
Then it didn't like the word "can't".
Then it didn't like the word "the".
Then it gave me the reply in step 1, that is, 0 results.

What am I doing wrong? A google search using the same words brought me here.

More importantly, on the one forum I DID see an answer to, there was an alternative to either "schedule" an error check or to "cancel". In my case, there WERE no alternatives.

Thanks,
Ben

Reaction score
Hi Ben Timages - Welcome to w7forums

One thing about the forums search, it does not work that well. I have better luck with Google or Bing, than I do with the forums search tool.

The best way to do a search is to leave out common words that would be found in all possible search results. The words that would only be found in pages you are searching for, are the words you would want to use in your search. Try to limit your words down to only the ones that are absolutely needed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is not a question type search, it is strictly a keyword search and all the words must be a minimum of 4 characters; in addition, words like THAT and THIS are considered common and are ignored. It also does not have the facility to handle quoted phrases, which I personally would like. Sorry, that is a limitation of the version of forum software currently in use.

I did find this THREAD

But to do so I took your quoted search to bing and added w7forums after it.

It is recommended you run a chkdsk on your drive.
From an administrator command prompt do ...
Chkdsk x: /F/R (where x is your drive letter)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Ben, as Clifford and TM have already mentioned, the Forum search engine isn't ideal - it only works on keywords. A Google/Bing search of the site is much better if you need to use a quoted search phrase :). It's not idea, but the forum software can't cope with complex queries.

It looks like TrainableMan has found a thread though :D

Ask a Question