Why is Windows 7 freezing?

Reaction score
I purchased a new computer for my business last year that had Vista on it and kept it until I had the money to purchase point of sale software. When I finally got the software, I was told I should upgrade to Windows 7, that the software will work better. I have never used the computer for anything but the POS software (cash register program) and it freezes on me several times a day since I upgraded to Windows 7. Of course, I have no idea how the software would've worked in Vista, if I still would have the freezing problem.

I do not have an internet connection at my store. I brought the computer home and updated Windows 7, but the problem of freezing persists. Usually, I can just hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and the problem will right itself. But once in a while I will get a complete freeze that requires me to restart completely.

I contacted Microsoft techs who told me to turn off automatic update and the security program, that maybe they were trying to run and since I don't have internet they were causing the freezing to occur because they couldn't run. So I turned them off, but it didn't help. I also told the company where I bought my software from about the freezing problem. He had me do some diagnostics, but still no resolution.

Should I do a clean Install of Windows 7? Will I lose my software and inventory if I do that? Should I go back to Vista? Will running the recovery disk help in this case? I'm so frustrated because I get phone calls several times a week about the freezing and need to resolve the problem. I hope somebody has a simple solution.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey there. Type msinfo32 int the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Then zip the file you just saved and attach it to a post.

I can look over the system and make suggestions on how to get it to run well.

Reaction score
I don't have internet at that computer's location. Is there another way to get the info to you?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you did an "upgrade" install over Vista, then that is probably causing your problems.

Most users who install Windows 7 over Vista in an upgrade install are experiencing problems such as this. Too many who chose the easy upgrade route are now experiencing lots of problems. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The best way is to do a clean or custom install. You'll have to reformat the hard drive and install Windows 7 from scratch. Doing it that way should solve the freezing problems.

You'll have to reinstall the POS software too. Be sure to save the log and inventory files plus any other with the sales history, margins, P&L, etc. and transfer those to a another hard drive, thumb drive or burn to a CD disc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sure. Save the zip to a usb flash memory or burn it to cd. Bring it to a machine that has internet and post it here.

I can suggest to uninstall whatever antivirus you have and replace it with MSE. (Let me guess, Norton/Symantec?)

Uninstall it (or whichever) in safe mode using the tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If he doesn't have an internet connection, then his only need for an anti-virus, if any, is when he puts in a CD/DVD or flash/pen drive or portable HD.

Reaction score
What if I simply go back to Vista? Isn't that simpler? Or is that a problem in itself? I have the reinstallation CD for Vista. Remember, I only need the computer to run POS software and maybe use Word for signs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your software worked fine in Vista and that is all you use your computer for then the salesman was just trying to sell you more software for more money.

So YES, if it works in Vista you CAN return to it if you have the Vista install DVD and your old product key (and if it is not a Vista OEM OS disc (like Dell or Toshiba) then you will likely also need the drivers). It will require a fresh install so back up all your data before you reinstall. All programs you use will need installed (make sure you have their product keys for programs that require keys before you erase the HD for the install; that way you can extract them with freeware like SIW if you don't have them written down).

Note that a complete reinstall may require more work then to just fix the issues in W7. It may well be you just need updated drivers and TorrentG is trying to tell you how to get the info he needs to "hook you up".

Type msinfo32 int the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Then zip the file you just saved. ... Save the zip to a usb flash memory or burn it to cd. Bring it to a machine that has internet and [hit the "Post Reply" button and use the paperclip to attach the file to a post]

Reaction score
I took the computer home last week and hooked it up to the internet and ran all the updates that I was told to update, but I am still having the problem. It seems if I have to go to all the trouble to reinstall Vista, it's just better if I clean install Windows 7. It will be the same work. And I paid for it anyway. But if you're saying there might be another issue with Windows 7 that is fixable, then I will try to get the info for you on a memory stick. This will take a couple of days.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes a clean install of W7 or Vista is basically the same work. Microsoft's updates are for the OS and some device drivers, but those may not be as current as can be found at the manufacturers site.

Unfortunately none of this is easy, especially since you have no internet at work. It might be easier to bring the computer home this weekend so you have the computer right there no matter what option you choose.

Ask a Question