Why does Word 2010 ...

Reaction score
Why does Word 2010 leave numerous WINWORD>EXE processes running in the Task Manager after you close Word ?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Word launches a new instance for each document you open/create, and due to shitty coding these instances typically stay and linger after the program and/or the documents are closed. Also, Outlook uses Word for editing and displaying emails.

Reaction score
That is stupid on Microsoft's part. Word 2007 never did that.Apparently, they've done some stupid prgramming thing's repeatedly on everything after Windows 7. If you install Windows Media Center in Windows 8, it doesn't show up in C;\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86) at all. Windows Media Player does, though. Weird, hah ?

Reaction score
Word launches a new instance for each document you open/create, and due to shitty coding these instances typically stay and linger after the program and/or the documents are closed. Also, Outlook uses Word for editing and displaying emails.
The processes keep running? Indefinitely?? :confused:
Wouldn't they build up and create some negative issues eventually?
Is there no fix for that?

I have a new computer on order with Word 2010 preloaded, and you just rained on my parade! LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have no problems with word 2010 32 bit.All the winword.exe process terminate automatically when the main window is closed.
I think Service pack 1 for office 2010 have a fix for that

Reaction score
I found out something about Word 2010 32 bit over the past week and a half. The bug only happens if you have internet access. I recently moved and cancelled my slow as molasses AT&T DSL. I told AT&T to stop the service on August 3rd, as that was when I moved. However they disconnected my service on July 27 th at 3 A>M.. I opened numerous Word 2010 documents without any internet. When I closed each document and opened Task Manahager no WINWORD.exe's werestill in the Procwaaea tab of Task Manager. Now that I'm back online the problem has reappeared. My internet is at least alot faster now. Bright House / Road Runner @ 10.24 mbs download and 1+ mbs. upload. Alot better than 2 mb download 46-56 kbs upload. with AT&T DSL.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe amaltom is saying you could use a firewall to block winword's access to the internet. That way your computer would still have an internet connection but winword could not use it.

To be honest I think there is something else going on but if you are right that blocking winword's internet connection will solve the problem, then using the firewall should be easier than disconnecting your network every time before you use MS Word.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Installing a Service Pack is not always the "universal panacea" we may desire.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always clean things up with CCleaner or a more complete cleaner such a PC Tools Privacy Guardian.

Ask a Question