Why does Firefox crash Windows 7?

Reaction score
I was running Fire Fox and it crashed so hard I had to remove the battery and restart the machine as it completely locked it up.

Reaction score
Do you have any extensions installed in firefox, if so try disabling them all and see if firefox works then. If this is the case then you need to enable your extensions one by one until you find the culprit.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I believe you posted this question a few days ago. And I told you that if Firefox is causing all these problems, then you don't need Firefox. Can you not close the browser before attempting to shut down? I use Firefox every day and it causes me no problems. Once in a while, it will open up slow. But closing it is no problem. Does your other browser(s) cause this? If not, then it is a problem with Firefox. Have you tried disabling add ons on your browser? That's a starting point, disabling them all at first, then enabling them, one at a time. Then when you come to the one that gives you trouble, remove it entirely. You need to go to this site's control panel and add some specs of your computer so that we can better help you. The only thing we know about you is your screen name and that you use Firefox. It could be other things as well as Firefox that is causing your problems. The last time you posted, I suggested to you to try Opera, or any other browser of your choice. If you are still having problems, then it's most likely a hardware issue. How much RAM (memory) do you have? As I told you before, if it is indeed Firefox that's causing this problem, then you don't need Firefox. And if you keep on shutting down your computer this way, you'll soon need a new one. Give us some more info so that we can help you. Your problem may be somewhere in the details.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No problem with me, but I'm a little curious as to what is going on here. As I've said, Firefox has fired up slow, but hasn't kept me from powering down my computer. My main concern is that you will not have a computer if this problem persists. Depending on the version you have, it may use a lot of RAM. A year or so ago, Firefox was a known memory hog. Have you updated to the latest version (3.5.5)? But even so, I don't see why you can't close your browser before attempting to shut down. I always do. It is always a good practice to close all open programs before shutdown. Don't get me wrong here, I'm far from being a PC expert, but this is a basic step to take. But whatever you decide to do, if it's only Firefox causing this, then quit using it. However, through experience, I feel that your problems go deeper than your browser. Like I said, give us a little more info to work with.

Reaction score
The next time it does this see if you can open Task Manager and kill the process.

Right click on the Taskbar then select Task Manager.

You could also press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" which will take you to the login screen. From there you can Shutdown, Log Off, Switch Users, or start Task Manager.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
No problems with FF 3.5.5 here!
I have not heard of any known issues with FF and W7.

Reaction score
I got this computer new with win 7 installed, I was playing Battlefield 2142 and it locked up to the point I had to remove all power battery and AC, so I figured it was a game compatability issue with win 7 being it is an old game and running it in a 63 bit OS may not work, but I was browsing with Fire fox and the same thing happened, so I just went to IE exploreer and never had a problem since.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hmmm...
Could you post about your new hardware and also what antivirus programs and the like, you are running?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Did you download the 64 bit or 32 bit version? I have the same OS that you do with only 2 GB RAM, and am using 3.6 BETA 4 as my default browser. The one most people use is 3.5.5. But I'm not like most people regarding that. I want the very latest browser that will run decently on my PC, and 3.6 Beta delivers. How about this, uninstalling it and redownloading it? And being that this is a new laptop, they have online support. It's part of the Total Care package. Check that out as well.

Reaction score
does it help to know flight that i wasn't even able to install firefox? lol i'm using ie8 XD....id gotte te message that firefox wasn't ompatible at all
but perhaps try compatability settings?
oh and if youre running 64 bit .. try 32 ? might be a touch better...

Reaction score
does it help to know flight that i wasn't even able to install firefox?
Do you have UAC settings enabled? UAC sometimes causes problems with applications especially the applications that were not programmed for UAC.
You might try disabling and then after rebooting try to install the newest version again.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There has to be more than a Firefox issue here. You said that you were playing Battlefield 2142 and it "locked up" as well. And it is a new computer as well. It must be a compatibility or anti virus one. Please, fill out the best you can in the user control panel here all of your computer details. That may help us help you.

Ask a Question