What will Win7 do to my current XP64 install?

Reaction score
I’m running an XP32 / 64 machine. I want to update the 64 side to Windows 7 and run XP64 mode from time to time. My questions are:

1) Will installing Win7 wipe the XP64 drivers and settings?
2) What does the Win7 Ultimate install disk have on it as far as operating systems go.
Does it have the 32 and 64 Ver. for Win7?
3) What about the XP data I have? Will installing Win7 wipe that?

Any other install info you can give me will be helpful. When other people plug and play I plug and pray.

Bob

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since there is no upgrade option to go directly from XP to W7, you will be doing a clean install. This means everything in XP is written over by W7. In the process, though, the W7 Install will make an XP.old file with all your data in it but you will need to do reinstalls of most everything for your system to work right.

If you purchase W7 by itself, you should get 2 DVD's, one with the 32 bit version and one with the 64 bit version. If you buy Windows 7 pre-installed in a new computer, you may only get one version (64 bit seems the popular preinstall version) and you'd need to contact the computer manufacturer for the other version if needed.

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT. I could not get Zinstall SP7 to work on my computer because of my Internet Security Software. Zinstall support did try and help me - but they could not get it to work either. I requested a refund and they refused. I reminded them of their "guarantee" and they pointed out to me all the "fine-print" in their guarantee that really makes their guarantee worthless. The concept of the Zinstall software is good, but most people will have problems getting it installed correctly and it will not work for them. DON'T BUY!![/FONT]

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT. I could not get Zinstall SP7 to work on my computer because of my Internet Security Software. Zinstall support did try and help me - but they could not get it to work either. I requested a refund and they refused. I reminded them of their "guarantee" and they pointed out to me all the "fine-print" in their guarantee that really makes their guarantee worthless. The concept of the Zinstall software is good, but most people will have problems getting it installed correctly and it will not work for them. DON'T BUY!![/FONT]
I don't understand the purpose of that software. Is it so you can dual-boot XP and W7, or run W7 in a virtual environment?

Either way it seems useless to me. Sorry you lost your money.

But welcome to the forum! If you explain what it is you're trying to do/accomplish, there are a lot of good people around here to help you through it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ahh, this must have been where yoda first saw Larry's post. I on the otherhand saw it in the other thread and thought you meant you saw it in another forum. Now see in this thread it doesn't seem to fit. In the other thread at least ZInstall had been mentioned first.

Sorry they ripped ya Larry. One post per forum is probably enough - to get more attention on the next forum maybe start your own thread. But I would call your credit card company to see if you can get a refund. Always pay by credit card, it gives you extra protection.

Bob-ski, what the others said is right, either overwrite it or dual boot. If you decide to overwrite then try W7 Easy Transfer to copy your user settings. Also do NOT format first if you want your data copied to .old as draceena mentioned.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Well Larry did some heavy work digging this one up. I didn't see the posting dates on the earlier posts and you either, I assume. :lol:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sometimes when they just pick a section or even just list all threads a serious old one pops up at the top. And yes you are right, I didn't see how old it was. Bob-ski can disregard my info because if he hasn't already made a decision he is better off staying at XP :p

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can always dual boot (or tri boot, and quad, too). I had four OS's on the same 100GB (93GB usable) disc. As long as you have the space, you don't need to get rid of anything. What you'll need is a partitioning software, a perfectly fine one (Free Partition Wizard) can be found listed in the Free Software database on the forum.

I personally recommend to use as much space as you can spare for Windows 7. Usually, most users adapts to it, and seldom even boots into XP anymore, so you can leave an extra 10GB for it, and take the rest for 7. It would be a good idea to have at least 50GB for it, more, depending on how many programs you plan to install.

If space is a concern, then you can always backup what you have, purchase a new, larger drive, and not have to give up anything.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Concerning Zinstall

Sorry, didn't mean to post about my problem with Zinstall on this post. I thought I only posted to the post concerning Zinstall. I did request a refund from my credit card company. The credit card company was very nice and said they would take it off my card. We will see. The concept of Zinstall I thought was good - they just need to honor their guarantee if the product will not work for a person. Thanks for your comments.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's alright Larry. I think you are real and that you were real angry. I'm glad your credit card company is fixing things up.

Ask a Question