What Firewall do you use ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No I'm not asking what is the best :D just what one do you use and why you like it, on my main computer I use VIPRE Antivirus Premium this Includes a 2-way firewall, Its retail but I like the UI and I'm happy with the protection, so whats yours ?

Reaction score
Very cool about Vipre...

Here's my explanation of why I use ZoneAlarm Extreme instead of the Windows Firewall...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/41383-zone-alarm-installation-windows-7-a.html

"1) The GUI is so much better.
2) Precise and quick control of outbound or inbound for any app instead of cumbersome WF GUI.
3) You can put your network adapter in the internet zone and then assign local network machines as trusted.
4) Integrated Kaspersky is excellent with automatic updated definitons hourly or so.
5) You can block all serving activity with one setting at any time you choose.
6) Hosts file protection
7) Easily block all Microsoft system apps from accessing internet. Do that with WF and you'll be there forever configurating.
8) System stealth can be set if wanted.
9) Blocks fragments
10) Poisonous ARP protection
11) Parental controls for people with young children - password activated and fully configurable with categories of types of sites
12) Drive-by download, keylogger, phishing and surfing track protection
13) Junk e-mail filter
14) Outbound mail protection
15) It easily identifies for the user any rogue software that may be running.
16) If you want to enable something like Host Process For Windows Services as for Windows Update, it takes only as much time as clicking and hitting enter.
17) Identity protection
18) Works completely silent once it is configured properly."

Attachments

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I use Avast, my reason it being FREE :)

I also scan periodically with Malwarebytes

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use Avast, my reason it being FREE :)

I also scan periodically with Malwarebytes
Avast Internet Security has what Avast call a Silent Firewall ... has that being made free now ?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I use Windows fire wall. Also behind a hardware firewall (NAT).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use the integrated firewall that's part of the G DATA Internet Security Suite.

Windows 7 firewall may be good and all that, but I have never trusted an MS firewall.

Just my humble opinion.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I use Comodo Firewall (it comes bundled with a antivirus but you can install the firewall without it, which is how I have mine configured).

Reaction score
I use the one built into my router, because it's more effective than any software firewall. Ever.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I think one of the most awkward firewalls to configure was made by Preventon Technologies Ltd but when configured it was a very good retail firewall, I would think there latest products are more user friendly now ... maybe :D

Reaction score
Everyone using a router automatically has NAT protection. It's the basis of how it's even able to work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use the one built into my router, because it's more effective than any software firewall. Ever.
Thrax - I have read that it's best to both the integral firewall that's on the router in addition to using a software firewall. Something about redundancy.

Is that true? Just curious.

I have the router firewall in addition to the G DATA Internet Security firewall.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think the topic came up in anotherthread a little while ago?
I use my router firewall. The princioal reason for this is that I then have my family (wireless) lan covered with the one item. Any Family members who wish to install anothet firewall on their own computers, are free to do so.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A configured router firewall would usually be enough if the user is safe online and will drop any bad packets (NATed), there are vast differences between a software and hardware firewall as each offers different security features and benefits. Updating your operating system is essential to maintaining optimal protection.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
...as they say, better safe than sorry and I like seeing what needs to connect to the internet and stopping it if I like.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
...as they say, better safe than sorry and I like seeing what needs to connect to the internet and stopping it if I like.
Agreed Draceena and just one reason I enable Vipres firewall (I altered the permission to give the screen shot below)

I like to know :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
After trying many, including the free ones, I would not change from ESET Nod 32 full security suite.:D

Ask a Question