What are your hobbies and interest..

Reaction score
What does everyone do when they are not at work or in front of their computers, what other interest hobbies do you pursue.

Myself I do a lot of reading, sci-fi. biographies and the odd true crime. Also just joined a gym recently which I am thoroughly enjoying, its not all weights, there are swimming pools. hydrotherapy pools and steam rooms, sauna and solarium too so plenty of relaxing after a training on the machines.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My main hobby is Computers and has been for 25 years, i do have a small business repairing / building Computers locally aside from my day job, my one other hobby is growing Bonsai and i have done this for quite a few years now. other interests are watching DVDs, TV, reading SiFi and listening to Music :)

Indoor Bonsai

Outdoor Bonsai

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it difficult to grow Bonsai? I've always heard it was very hard to do keep them going (but I've never spoken to someone who knew what they are doing!).

My main hobbies other than computers includes aircraft, electronics and travelling. I love building things, and have a crazy number of electronic components which come in handy for projects or repairing things.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
My main, non-computer passion is walking. I am out for at least an hour but have gone up to four hours of walking. My main in-home passion is Origami (http://draceena.wordpress.com) along with reading (sci-fi, fantasy, classics) and watching some TV and Movies.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Is it difficult to grow Bonsai?
Outdoor are a lot easer than Indoor and ( Serissa foetida ), Tree of a Thousand Stars can be hard (i have two). Serissa drops its leaves if it has too much water. Too little water. If it's too hot or too cold. If it's moved, or there is a shift in lighting or temperature it also needs a grow lamp for 12 hours daily and root pruned each year, but when its in flower its a stunning tree :)

Tree of a Thousand Stars

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Its good to see a variation between us all, how many trees do you have there Veedaz. I did also peek at the origami sites and some of the stuff they make is unreal! Especially when it come to stuff like this -> http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/origami/golden-ball-snub-dodecahedron-penultimate.jpg

I see a couple of you read sci-fi, is there any specific authors that you watch out for. Have you read any of Alistair Reynolds stuff yet, if not then its worth a look.

@Ian I see you like aircraft, what kind of aircraft - military? We live just down the road from an airbase and we get to see a variety of aircraft flying in the skies, most recently the Vulcan bomber made an appearance on its maiden flight for its checks so it could get passed off and gain its paperwork for flying in airshows, I did also meet the Vulcan test pilot very briefly not long back at an airshow at the base. We regularly see the red arrows praticing overhead too.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
@Ian I see you like aircraft, what kind of aircraft - military? We live just down the road from an airbase and we get to see a variety of aircraft flying in the skies, most recently the Vulcan bomber made an appearance on its maiden flight for its checks so it could get passed off and gain its paperwork for flying in airshows, I did also meet the Vulcan test pilot very briefly not long back at an airshow at the base. We regularly see the red arrows praticing overhead too.
All types of aircraft :D Especially the Vulcan bomber though, as it's such a gorgeous aircraft! I'm looking forward to seeing it at airshows in the future, as I've only seen it stationary before. I've got a couple of degrees in aerospace engineering and avionics, so it's my main area of interest alongside computing. It must be great fun living near an airbase :)

Reaction score
Writing, bodybuilding, cycling, gaming, and table-topping (D&D) are hobbies of mine.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
16 Trees ATM Cookieman, and as for SiFi Writers it has to be Arthur C. Clarke, Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert A. Heinlein, Ben Bova, and Isaac Asimov.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
For Sci-Fi I tend towards the "biggies" like Clarke and Asmov. I also love the original Dune series by Frank Herbert (I think I've read the series through at least 6 or 7 times now).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"What does everyone do when they are not at work or in front of their computers"

You mean there are actually people on this planet with other interests? I must get a life! LOL
No. Serious. I think Veedaz must be my secret twin. I have the same interests, except that it is general gardening without specialities. In my case this is no small undertaking - 3 acres od cultivation including flowers vegetables and a lot of grass, thank god. No help except a little from the wife. I am retired so there is plenty of time. But it is a good mix to sit and gaze and computer users misfortunes for extended periods and then get some air and garden or, weather disallowing, watch a bit of TV and escapist literature like scifi.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The first book in the Dune series is just called "Dune" the rest are as follows:

#2 -Dune Messiah
#3 -Children of Dune
#4 -God Emperor of Dune
#5 -Heritics of Dune
#6 -Chapterhouse Dune

I hope you enjoy! :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I will look for Dune in my local library, or if its not there i can order it, thank you draceena :)

Reaction score
MM well I am atechnophile by trade so when I am not sitting in front of my computer I am thinking of newways to exploit cell phone's ( I.E. make them do things not intented to do)

I love to study psycology, physics, and computing...

I have a hobby running to make my own Wide area Network using the free usable sattilite freq aviable to public. ( yes they exsist) and I am also a pro gamer.

mostly I like to learn hwo to optimize my system performance with out OC....

Plus I build older systems to run newer games through twiking.

Ask a Question