Welcome screen

Reaction score
Still feeling my way around 7 after Vista and I have noticed that it seems to linger on the welcome screen for around 35 seconds before continuing. Is this the norm or can I change boot settings ? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I'd actually like to know this myself. It seems to take a while starting the User Profile Service and Preparing Desktop. I wish there was a way to completely skip it so Windows goes from the bootscreen straight to the desktop. ;)

Reaction score
I decided to create a black background in paint and used that as the Welcome screen, now takes only 3 seconds to load. Well happy with this modification

Reaction score
I decided to create a black background in paint and used that as the Welcome screen, now takes only 3 seconds to load. Well happy with this modification
Interesting, I'll try that out sometime today and see how it goes!

Edit: Didn't make any difference. It didn't used to take 30 seconds... :(

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open Msconfig and look under the Startup Tab. There are many third party programs (Itune. Quick Time etc) which do not need to be running on startup, as they will, in any case, open when used manually. Also there are such programs as image makers (Acronis etc). Jave puts its update schedule there and can be unticked - it is not so impotant to have this on a schedule.Another culprit is Acrobat reader. It will be listed as Acro tray. The program will also open on demand. Real player and other meida programs. If you are using a Nvidia card, the library is on the list and not totally needed. Have a good look for any other third party programs.

Reaction score
There are many third party programs (Itune. Quick Time etc) which do not need to be running on startup, as they will, in any case, open when used manually.
Nuke'em all
Make your PC faster much faster without every little process eating at your CPU power grid. :)

Reaction score
Interesting, I'll try that out sometime today and see how it goes!

Edit: Didn't make any difference. It didn't used to take 30 seconds... :(
My desktop is also plain black. Perhaps thats why it works for me ?

Reaction score
I should perhaps add that I use Tuneup Utilities 2010 on a regular basis to keep my system sweet. Did a Registery Defraf a few minutes ago and W 7 now loads in 4 seconds. Can I PM you ?

Reaction score
I should perhaps add that I use Tuneup Utilities 2010 on a regular basis to keep my system sweet. Did a Registery Defraf a few minutes ago and W 7 now loads in 4 seconds. Can I PM you ?
If you mean PM me then go ahead. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I cannot see how changing to black can possibly affect the loading speed. A colour is a colour. In computer programming terms, black is not a void, just another synbol. But if it worked for you, well done.
4 seconds from boot is remarkable. You must have a very good computer!!

I get that from sleep but not from boot.

Reaction score
Rebooted several times today and the time from the welcome screen to desktop has settled down to 7 seconds. Saw this on another forum

" Just wondering if anyone came across this. I was racking my brain over the weekend until I figured it out. I installed Win 7 RTM on two machines. After installing all my apps, I had set my desktop background to a solid color (Dark Blue). After logging off and back on later I noticed that it was taking upwards of 45 seconds to login. Another account on the system, one I had created but still had the default Win 7 background logged in, in under 3 seconds. Again this time from hitting enter on the password prompt, until desktop appears.

Setting a background picture on the profile again restored login time back to under 3 seconds.

I also noticed that during the 45 second login time that if I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and selected "Start Task Manager" I would go immediately to the desktop. "

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ha. I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant (as said) that W7 booted in 4 seconds, not from the welcome screen. The previous quotation is referring to the same thing, not a boot up from switch on. I can see now that I have been writing at cross purposes.

I have the original desktop as my default. I don't spend a great deal of time looking at it, so customising it is not of a great deal of interest to me.But I have, since, been experimenting. My OS from Welcome to Desktop (with Lan and Internet connection) takes about 5 seconds. Altering the desktop background does not seem to affect it to a significant extent, maybe a heavy graphic desktop slows it by about 5 seconds. But it is an interesting phenomena!.

Last edited:
Reaction score
" I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you meant (as said) that W7 booted in 4 seconds, not from the welcome screen. " My mistake davehc. I said from the 'welcome screen' earlier on the post. I am putting this down to the beer I had consumed earlier mate lol

rak

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the site. I have just discussed this problem on another site. I don't pay much attention to my desktop, as I rarely look at it, so had to try out the various combinations to simulate the problem You are correct!!
I began to explore the startup procedures and finally got on the track of how to circumvent this. It is a matter of paths, and default pictures. If you would prefer your own custmised desktop, experiment with this.

1. I went to Windows - Web -Wallpaper - Windows. In there is a file called img0.jpg. I copied this, for safety, in case something went wrong, to img01.jpg. I took ownership of the file (This is neccessary for the next stage)
I then opened it in my Graphics program and played with it to get the theme I liked. Then I saved it back to its original place.
2. Next I pasted this to users -username -Appdata - Roaming - Microsoft - Windows - Themes.
3. Now I opened that folder and in there was a file called TranscodedWallpaper.jpg, which I renamed (Anything you like - just add a 1 to the end if you prefer). I then renamed the file I had just imported to TranscodedWallpaper.jpg.
Exit and reboot. Now, from the Welcome screen to desktop is pretty much instant.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - Backup first
Fwiw. On the other site, one member was using the "slide show" function, and said he did not have the delay. I have not tried it, nor will I, as I am sure it must be using extra resources whilst you are on the computer.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info rak. I recently installed TU 2010 and while messing about with it this morning discovered that I can change the login to a black screen ( my pref ) and the welcome screen only shows for 3 seconds. I wonder if this ' problem ' will be corrected by M$ in an update ?

rak

Reaction score
Well. I,m OK wih it now. Using my own laborious method, I got there. I have my doubts about having a black screen!! Is that just the login/welcome or also the desktop?

Reaction score
Well. I,m OK wih it now. Using my own laborious method, I got there. I have my doubts about having a black screen!! Is that just the login/welcome or also the desktop?
Login and desktop both black. Just my personal preferences

Ask a Question